How Many Creations?

As a Shaper, i normally go through the game with a max of 3-4 creations. I have never used vlish. Most of the time I go through the demo area and get me a cryra or two, then wait for cryodrayks. I'll hold on to my creatures until i get a gazer/eyebeast next, backing them with healing, blessing, and mass madness, they destroy just about everything. I think I used drakons in my first play through of G2 and that was it. But my question is how many creations do yall normally get?

It depends on which game and which build. I'm fond of shapers/lifecrafters, and I tend to favor more creations over fewer of the most powerful creations. I'm a bit surprised by your rejection of vlishes; they're among the most cost-effective critters you can shape.

—Alorael, who acknowledges that shepherding many creations around can be a pain. The benefits of seven allies instead of concentrating power make up for it, though. You have less damage wasted on overkill, you can more easily rotate front and back lines to keep everyone alive until you can heal, and for a few scripted fights being able to throw more bodies into the fray makes victory much easier.

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised by your rejection of vlishes; they're among the most cost-effective critters you can shape.

Alorael, how the heck do you keep vlishes alive? In g5 I admit I tend towards the fire and battle trees (cryoa-->drayk-->kyshakk; war trall), and so have limited experience with the magic tree, but the few vlishes I've tried die early.

It depends upon the game. The earlier Geneforge games had vlish stun attack that would keep opponents from even getting an attack to bother you. While vlish don't have high health, if you have 7 or more magic shaping, then they start with a decent amount and you can get them fairly early in the game so they go up rapidly without having to increase their stats.

I go with a thahd,fyora,artila to the point where I get a searing artilla. To get essence for the searing I get rid of the thahd and the fyora. I abandon the searing to get a vlish. most of the time I just get a vlish maxed out and take it to the end game. Where it would be possible to go with 5-7 creations, I prefer useing 1 or 2 realy powerfull creations. vlish are good at this due to their high mental resist.

• 3 weeks later...

In G4 I like to make a cryoa as early as possible and keep it for a very long time, I then shape a plated clawbug and a wingbolt as soon as they become available.

I pump the plated clawbug with str and send him headfirst in to battle; his 10 AP allow him to attack twice if he hasn't moved, and most enemies have trouble hitting him (many have less than 10% hit chance). They group around him and attack while my lifecrafter and the cryoa rip his attackers with long range ice attacks while the clawbug attacks twice.

Once the wingbolt is available I make one as well, its stats will be almost 10 points lower than those of my other two creations, but it has about the same HP and deals twice as much damage, so it fits well as another long range attacker with its kill bolt.

So I generally start with one creation and shape another one every chapter or so, my creations do the fighting while my lifecrafter uses blessing/healing, and joining into the fray with ice blasts if he has nothing to bless or heal.