Literary reference in A4

Leon

The wild animal breeder east of Fort Duvno is named Torvald, and his untalkative wife's name is Nora. Clearly, Jeff was thinking of Henrik Ibsen's Doll House, and it made me kind of happy to catch on to it. It's little things like this that make me love the series even more.

Did anyone else catch this, or find any other literary allusions at any point?

A search for Torvald did not find any such discussion (about this character)

Just because something has been discussed in some fashion in the past doesn't mean someone might not want to bring things up again, perhaps in a different perspective.

While some folks here seem to have been living on this forum for years, it is quite possible that others drift in and out as they discover and play these games and then move on.

It's probably tiring for the "regular" contributors here to see the same questions asked or opinions stated if the answers can be found with the search feature, but to "noobs" like me, it's all new.

Reading an old thread is just not as much fun as starting a new discussion - especially since some get annoyed if old ones get bumped up for interest's sake.

(and considering the amount of bashing AV4 gets, reading the older stuff isn't exactly encouraging to those who find the game a whole lot of fun and don't really care one way or another how one moves from one square to the next)

Oops, I think I got on a soapbox there. Gotta go!

Quote:
Originally written by Shine123:
Just because something has been discussed in some fashion in the past doesn't mean someone might not want to bring things up again, perhaps in a different perspective.
Quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:
I agree with you - people are too quick to stifle a discussion that may become meaningful.
I wasn't suggesting that discussion be moved to previous threads or that this thread was unnecessary. I was suggesting to those who might be interested that in the Avernum Trilogy section more information might be found.

I am not a bloody vigilante and I'm slightly offended that I was mistaken for one. :p

Apologies, I did not mean to stir anything up. No one's a vigilante, and I will run a search of existing topics before starting a new thread next time, which is something I admittedly didn't do this time.

As was pointed out, I'm not really a forum regular, but just tend to kind of drift in for a while after every new Spiderweb release. Hopefully this thread shall remain useful and people will share other interesting references that they spot in A4. I know I'd like to read them!

For the record, another such topic was this one .

EDIT: Oh yeah, the other thing I intended to say: any topic can be good, even if it has been discussed before, if the discussion is new and different. Many repeated threads (Mac vs. Windows, Exile vs. Avernum, etc.) have nothing new said in each iteration, so they become rather pointless. This one appears to have new content, which is the factor that makes it good.

Quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:And I agree with you - people are too quick to stifle a discussion that may become meaningful.[/QB]
I never had the balls to restart the anama thread on avernum trilogy lol

Leon you deffinatly should look up the threads with the references they got some real neat stuff i recomand it for everyone but feel free to start talking about them again!

Not a literary reference, but popular culture. Test number 5 near Fort Remote. You are the Weakest Link in the test for unity.

For the record my singleton is not antisocial. He just doesn't need a others sucking up experience and money. If he needs friends he can always summon some up.

My 2 cents: they are not exactly literary references though;

A trainer in Silvar (north east building?) says above his head: "fortune favors the bold", it could be a coincidence, but that's the same phrase they repeated in the movie "Alexander".

I can't help but link "captain Nathan" in Fort Avernum with "captain Nathan Algren" in The Last Samurai.

The innkeeper in Silvar (who asks 30 coins for gossip) is called Bolivar. Simón Bolivar is a hero for some latin american countries who helped get independence from the Spaniards. I think Venezuela and Colombia were especially favored by him. (The country Bolivia owns its name to him). It's actually a surname, though ;-)