What sound does a Swedish lightsaber make?

This brings to mind an interesting point. Some people have suggested that Spidweb games should have music. The usual response is that the download sizes need to be kept relatively small, but this track is only 4k; that wouldn't even be noticed if added onto a game download, even if a good dozen songs were packaged with the game (an extra minute for dial-up users OH NOES).

The other objection is usually that music is annoying, so there should be an option in the Preferences to turn it off.

But it seems as though there's nothing particularly preventing Jeff from having music like this in his games, and not just in the intro screens.

The size issue was a good one back in the days when most people were on dial-up and the game was <2Mb in size. Now with games running 5 times that size, and most folks on higher speed, plus the reliability of CD mailers, there should be no issue about adding music other than lack of interest/motivation.

Edit - Striking "time" from the list to maintain some accuracy.

Tons of people are still on dial-up. Keeping the games small enough for them is still a HUGE monetary motivation.

Also, I hate music in games. So that isn't going to change any time soon.

I will reconsider using music when I write an all new engine in 3 years or so.

- Jeff Vogel

One more thing on this.

We can't afford to license quality music. No hot Grand Theft Auto 99 Luftballons action here. And as for hiring people to make music, well, you get what you pay for.

If we had music in our games, it would be of analagous quality to the graphics. But far harder to get used to.

Know a good thing when you got it.

- Jeff Vogel