Skill spreading

BlueMedley

I wonder how feasible it would be to have one character be nothing but a thief and a pack mule. I imagine that character would end up with more nature lore, arcane lore, and first aid than the others, solely because other skills wouldn't be so pressing. The only problem is that the character would be a liability in combat. Good thing he or she will just lose consciousness.

Dikiyoba.

Not really. If he's not doing any fighting, it doesn't matter if he doesn't have any AP, so carrying capacity isn't a concern.

I doubt that it's a particularly efficient strategy, though. If you're going to give him Mage Spells for Unlock Doors (which you have to do if you want to unlock everything), you may as well let him use some of those spells of his in combat as well.

Quote:
Originally written by Sibling Reconciliation Bereavement:
Tool Use is the only skill that has no obvious benefit for the character but still should be concentrated in one character only.

—Alorael, who will point out that there's no benefit to spreading out the spreadable skills except lower overall skill point cost.
Would you focus the skill on a mage, for Unlock Doors, or over two?

I'm used to Tool Use not affecting Unlock, and gave my Nephil archer having around 12-13 points, before realising.

Is it time to start again?

Tool Use needs to be given to a mage with unlock door spell (taught in Formello). There is and old thread that shows how they work together. It's a waste to give it to a non-mage.

Arcane Lore, Nature Lore, and First Aid can be spread out over the party since the game uses the party's total and not the maximum of any member. One warning, monsters that are calmed by a party's total nature lore will attack later if enough characters "die" so as to lower the total below what was needed to calm them. It's a cruel way to get attacked as a weaken party limps back to town.

It's not especially difficult to get through A4 even if you have one Tool Use character with no ability as a mage and one mage with no Tool Use. You won't ever get the hardest doors open, but most other doors won't be a problem.

—Alorael, who did that on his first time through A4 and didn't miss anything wonderful or even especially helpful.

Quote:
Originally written by Sibling Reconciliation Bereavement:
It's not especially difficult to get through A4 even if you have one Tool Use character with no ability as a mage and one mage with no Tool Use. You won't ever get the hardest doors open, but most other doors won't be a problem.

—Alorael, who did that on his first time through A4 and didn't miss anything wonderful or even especially helpful.
Yes, in fact, most of the incredibly difficult doors in the game have little or no reward attached to opening them. I believe one in Patrick's Tower conceals a spellbook, but the rest are pathetically disappointing.