A4 - Very Slugish on Windows XP

Michi

While the previous thread was very entertaining, with people attempting to analyze Jeff's threading model and message queue, I would like to get some good old fashioned technical support.

The game is running very slowly on my computer:

Windows XP Sp2

Intel P4 3.2 Ghz, HT

1.5 GB Mem

Asus (nvidia) 6600 GT 128 MB

EQ II set on high runs smooth as silk, so I don't think my computer is the issue, unless A4 is conflciting with something special.

Any ideas?

well, I've had the same issue, and nothing seems to help. It is bad enough at times that the border mouseclicks don't do anything, and I'm left with keyboard only. Try turning off the sound, or whatever is available in the preferences, or hope (like me) that Jeff finds the problem and turns out a patch or update.

Sorry to not be very helpful, I've given up.

Try running the game after a fresh restart with no other programs running. Does this help?

Also, try reinstalling your display drivers (and perhaps DirectX). Odd problems like this are often fixed by this (even if your display drivers are up to date ... sometimes they become corrupted).

- Jeff Vogel

Ok, upgraded to DirectX Dec 2005... I was at 9.0c ... not sure if there was anything actually upgraded, and I updated to the latest NVidia drivers.

Rebooted my comp, stopped all other programs.

At first the game ran pretty smoothly, but over the course of the next few hours it slowly deteriorated.

I am sorry, but I forgot to check memory / handles / threads / GDI objects ... maybe you have a leak somewhere? I will try and check it out next time I play.

Quote:
Originally written by Terinol:
As I noted on the other thread the game leaks like crazy if you have two displays and makes the game run at a crawl. After turning off my second display everything ran fine. If no fix is provided there should atleast be a warning if the game detects several active displays tongue .
Odd. I've had no problems running A4 on my desktop with 2 displays.

Edit: This is my fabled 400th post. I would like to dedicate it to a member who was banned a mere week ago.

oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!