Romans or Celts?

I usually don't play through games twice (unless I really love something and have nothing else to play). So that said, just in case I only play through Nethergate once, which would you recommend I play through as (based on the following criteria)?

1. Which faction has the best/most interesting storyline?

2. Which faction is the most unique gameplay wise? I have already played all of the Geneforges, Avernum 4-6, EFTP, and Avadon. So which faction would be the most unique compared to those games? I'm kind of drawn towards Romans just because playing without magic interests me, if that is in fact the case with them.

Nethergate and its remake shift the Hagfen witches quest from the Romans to the Celts. Resurrection has two extra dungeons that aren't in the original.

Playing as Romans will slightly limit what you can do because you can't past all the magical barriers and you will have fewer spells. But you do get to see more places in some area. Jeff reduced the effectiveness of magic from the original so you will enjoy the game as mainly a fighter.

Celts have a different version of the same story. You really need to play that side too to see the rest of the game. I always like their story more. They also have access to all the spells.

Honestly, I'd say that if you play only one faction and then stop, you aren't actually playing through the entire game. There's a just a lot (in terms of plot, how the main storyline dungeons play out, and also in terms of how characters treat you, and also in terms of faction-unique areas) that you'll miss. As others noted, gameplay is different too, since the Celts get way more magic than the Romans. Nethergate isn't like a Geneforge with multiple factions that basically mean a couple of slightly different endgame quests. Nethergate is more like one game divided into two distinct halves. Don't eat half the pie - eat the whole pie!!! :D

Personally, I think I enjoyed the Romans a tiny bit more than the Celts, but both are fantastic.

The real difference between Nethergate and Geneforge is that you don't change the story based on your faction. If you play as Celts, there's a Roman party of NPCs opposing you, and if you play as Romans, it works the other way. Whatever you hear about the other group doing in your playthrough is what you would be doing if you were playing the other side. You go to the same places and get to the same ending either way, but from opposite sides.

—Alorael, who thinks the game is fully satisfying playing either one. You won't miss anything big by only playing one, but you will miss out on how and why some plot events happen. The plot's also a bit more frustrating if you play as Romans, as you spend far more time getting thwarted.

• 1 year later...

So I got distracted after like 5 hours. But I finished Dark Souls 1 and 2 and was searching my steam catalog for something to play next that would scratch the same, grindy, OCD, powergaming, itch and settled on finally finishing Nethergate.

Started a new party, but once I got a sense of how the game works (another 5 hours in), I realized my mistakes and restarted for optimal effectiveness (which really worked, it took me like 5 hours to get through the goblin pits on torment the first try, but breezed through in no time after restarting).

This is the only spiderweb game I've yet to finish on torment (apart from the exiles and the first avernum trilogy, as I'm waiting to play the remakes of those).

So hopefully I can finish it this time.

To get the full story, you have to play the game as both.

This.

Also, the two sides DO play pretty differently, particularly in Nethergate: Resurrection, where the difference in armor and armor skill limitations can be just as significant as the difference in spell accessibility.

I've been using one priest as a healer and another for war magic (although both have enough heal and war to cast the basics), but I'm starting to get to the point where I need to expand into other circles. What's good? Should I have them each focus on only one or two circles? Or is it better just to aim for the same amount in all?

Celts get all spells period, I aim for both Druids obtaining all spells.

Romans get the first two Circles, except for the level 7 spells. The Beast and Craft Circles are much more restricted, you only get 10 out of the 16 spell levels. (Six of those levels come from unique items.) You might be able to max out Beast but I would go mostly for Craft. You never get Spirit or Nether Circle spells, you can learn them but you can't actually cast them.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished!

Great game overall. I don't especially like the engine (I accidentally saved mid battle several times, forcing me to back track). Plus, monsters almost always attacked my first in line (as opposed to others), which made the game pretty easy. One of the easier spiderweb games on torment, I think.

The very last battle with the Roman centeur was pretty hard, but I had saved all the invulnerability droughts until then, which made it easier.

So now I'm done with all spiderweb games on torment (or the ones on steam, anyway).

Kneel and worship me!