A running gag

Erebus the Black

Back in the 90s-00s there was a running gag among unix and linux users about dos and windows. It went something like this: running gag

This was supposedly due to a memory leak in the dos/win base code. However when I googled and wikied this (to see if it still exists in the newer forms of win) I couldn't find any mentioning of this.

Anybody here know anything about this?

P.S. I don't recommend reading the entirety of the web comic, IMO Iliad ran out of funny ideas around 06-08 (could be even earlier)

I can only speak from personal experience and not in depth knowledge, but Windows 95 and 98 (but not quite as often as 95) would frequently start acting odd and/or sluggish and require a reboot. 95 was also plagued with the "This program has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down" issue. It cropped up in 98 occasionally, but not very often. As to the system rebooting on its own, I don't ever recall that. Vista and 7 will do that to install updates though if you don't change the settings.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
it's quite possible to run Windows 7 for days or weeks on end without rebooting.
True. Windows 7 seems to be really stable for me; the longest I've gone without rebooting is about three weeks. Normally, the only time I reboot is when Windows Update tells me it's necessary in order to install updates.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Windows 3.1 could crash if there was spike in the computer's power. But that's more the fault of the cheap power supplies not filtering the line current.
Windows 3.1 could crash if you clicked the mouse the wrong way, and could get a virus if you sneezed on the monitor.

Certificates of graduation are offered from some colleges and universities. Others just append it to your transcript, so a transcript request will cover it.

—Alorael, who has on previous occasions tried mailing registrars. The post office declined the packages, but the registrars were very good sports about it.

After 9/11 a man got himself ship by a delivery service and wasn't discovered until after delivery when the driver saw him leave the shipping box. This exposed a huge loophole in Bush's searching for terrorists on planes system.

I had a pun about postage since Alorael has the most postings on the board, *sigh*

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Originally Posted By: gung-ho together now
—Alorael, who has on previous occasions tried mailing registrars. The post office declined the packages, but the registrars were very good sports about it.

Did you use enough postage?

I knew I forgot something!

—Alorael, who believes that joke which is dead may eternal fall flat.

As I understand it, a certificate of graduation certifies that you have graduated (and, usually, received a diploma). The diploma is that all-important document that is actually part of graduating and that you get to frame and hang on your wall forever.

—Alorael, who is an expert in neither certificates nor diplomas. He understands that you have to walk across a stage to get the diploma, and, well, he's not welcome at those events anymore.

Since this thread seems to have gone off course anyway, mind if I derail it further?

Many European universities offer exchange student semesters, so that a student can take a little part of his education in another country.

Do US schools have such programs?

I have heard stories of people get into trouble for the most minor and even no infractions when travelling to the US, which is a bit off-putting. Still there are many very good schools in the US, and living there for a few months would no doubt be a great experience.

Quote:
Many European universities offer exchange student semesters, so that a student can take a little part of his education in another country.

Yes, it's something that they use a lot as an advertising point from what I've seen.

Quote:
I have heard stories of people get into trouble for the most minor and even no infractions when traveling to the US, which is a bit off-putting.

I've personally never heard of such a thing happening to a foreign exchange student, and I've known or known of fairly substantial numbers of exchange students coming to schools I was at. It almost certainly happens occasionally, but not often enough to get attention.

Originally Posted By: Droid
Since this thread seems to have gone off course anyway, mind if I derail it further?

I have heard stories of people get into trouble for the most minor and even no infractions when travelling to the US, which is a bit off-putting. Still there are many very good schools in the US, and living there for a few months would no doubt be a great experience.

Most US schools have such a program, but in some of the smaller schools it's more a "sister school" program than just a blank check to "study" (coughcough) in Paris for a semester.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
Quote:

Yes, it's something that they use a lot as an advertising point from what I've seen.
This exactly. I'm a junior in HS and I'm being buried in letters and emails from schools. One of the big things is the exchange programs. That and "Our surrounding city/town/countryside is exciting, hip, and fun!"

My mom made me at least look at all the first 60-70% of college mail I got, which made me consider a few schools. There was only one letter that got me interested enough to ask for more info and eventually apply, and searching for more schools like it led me to find my current school (which will remain anonymous).

Interesting fact: Of the seven schools I applied to, all of them offered international study opportunities.

I´ll send you a message with the info.
I have only found one of the stories I have in mind, and I guess it's not something that happens regularly.
Just out of curiousity, where you Raven W/ Writing Desk on the old boards? If not who was that?
Yes, <i>Raven v. Writing Desk</i> was my title for several years, italics included. Were you around then under a different name?

Re college mail, the school I ended up going to (U Chicago) sent me one advertisement that I found so distasteful, I refused to look into the place for nearly two years. I eventually decided to shoot for Chicago, ahead of other options, on two largely irrelevant bases: (1) the existence of a rare program in cuneiform studies that I thought was cool, even though I knew it wasn't likely I'd spend my life doing that, and (2) the fact that there were numerous used bookstores near the school. I ended up being glad I went there, but mainly because of its proximity to downtown Chicago.

The reality is that most BA/BS programs are similar, and most colleges are similar. Unless you have a very specific research or professional interest that you are way more sure about than most teenagers are, or you want a specific, unusual program, the two factors that really retain meaning when comparing colleges are geography and cost, and maybe also the student culture.

Cheers Alorel.

And yes I do, but this appears to have been the wrong forum to present my question for. I was hoping one of the Mac oldschoolers would know, but I was disillusioned.

To get information about an old Windows bug, you would probably need to talk to an experienced Windows programmers or power user types. We may have some of the latter, but few if any of the former, and people mostly knowledgable about Macs won't be able to help much with this at all.

Other than that, a couple of people already said most of what there is to say about it: Old versions of Windows used to crash a lot, newer ones don't so much, and haven't for a number of years.

I know of at least one college that requires at least some study abroad.