Northern Isles Game 7

*i

Thank you everyone for agreeing to play. Here are the ground rules. Only the moderator (me) and people who are playing the game and are alive may post here. Anything else will be instantly deleted.

The current living players are:

Alorael

Andraste

Ash Lael

Bloodmoon

Doom Warrior

Excalibur

Marlenny

Omlette

RCCCL

Sarachim

Sleeping Dragon

Sporefrog

Tarson

Thuryl

Xelgion

Wz As

Some ground rules:

1) If you are playing PLEASE READ ALL THE RULES. They have been updated since the last game.

2) Private communication is allowed.

3) Submit your actions to me by way of PM in the thread I started with you. If I cannot figure out what you want to do, I'll simply ignore it, so try to be clear.

4) Actions will be processed in the order they were received when I get around to them. Read the rules for how often you can submit and any other exceptions.

5) Please posts all rules questions in your PM with me or in the rules topics.

6) If you are not playing or dead, please do not influence the game. You may look, but not touch.

Otherwise, the game begins:

Friday, July 10 at 1:00 AM EDT

If you do not communicate with me within 24 hours of me sending it to you, you may be replaced.

Just a reminder, no actions that kill anyone will be processed until after a day has passed.

Also, the game will end at the latest on:

Wednesday, July 15 at 1:00 AM EDT

Moderator Shop

Antidote (15)

Resistance Elixir (30)

Wand of Death (60)

Assassin Leather (60)

Crystal Spire (60)

Flaming Sword (60)

Fury Crossbow (60)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Machrone publishes:

Q) What is the role of one of the Darkside Loyalist targets?

A) Machrone

Q) Who started with the Fury Crossbow?

A) Bloodmoon

Q) What are the names of two Anama members (living or dead)?

A) Marlenny and Alorael

Since this game has already been horribly mangled, I want to bring into question the process by which commands are submitted and validated.

Here's the situation that I've noticed several times throughout this game:

"Person1" has an enemy. Said enemy uses an ability to kill person1's friend.

Person1 cannot kill "enemy" until he gets an item.

Person1 submits an action to trade for the item that makes it possible for him to kill "enemy."

Because he has to wait for the trade to get through, possibly equip it, use it, whatever, the enemy kills him before he ever finishes going through the lists of actions he has to submit, laboriously, to *I -- even though enemy went through an entire 24 hour cooldown during which "person1" should have gotten to attack him.

In this situation, "enemy" has a huge advantage because he has a simple role, whereas "person1" relies on more complicated mechanics, and *I simply does not process everything fast enough. What's funny is, this is when person1 has 24 hours to work with. If it's a situation where both players just have to attack each other, and whoever gets the command in first gets the attack, there's just no chance whatsoever for "person1."

I think the rules either need to be reworked to include conditionals, such as "if/when person X trades me item Y, use it to kill person Z"

Or, allow people to submit every action they want to do at once, then just make any actions fizzle if they cannot be performed at the time they're processed. At one point I had to use an item, sell an item, trade an item, accept an invite, and use an ability all at once. That's ALL to counter one person's "attack player X."

I think *I maybe needs a helper, it's just unfair to be at a disadvantage because your schedule isn't tuned to the mod's schedule (see Alorael).

Originally Posted By: Sporefrog
Stuff

We got really screwed over because of this. But Stareye is already doing a great job and no moderator of the game should be forced to spend 24 hrs going over it, so what we need are suggestions on how we can beat the time without it being much extra work.

My suggestion:

I recommend that instead of: You must wait 24 hrs from when your last action occurred or was processed, you have to wait 24 hrs from when you submitted your last action. Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Sporefrog
Since this game has already been horribly mangled, I want to bring into question the process by which commands are submitted and validated.

Here's the situation that I've noticed several times throughout this game:

"Person1" has an enemy. Said enemy uses an ability to kill person1's friend.

Person1 cannot kill "enemy" until he gets an item.

Person1 submits an action to trade for the item that makes it possible for him to kill "enemy."

Because he has to wait for the trade to get through, possibly equip it, use it, whatever, the enemy kills him before he ever finishes going through the lists of actions he has to submit, laboriously, to *I -- even though enemy went through an entire 24 hour cooldown during which "person1" should have gotten to attack him.

I've submitted pairs of actions along the lines of "Recruit X as bound servant, then compel X to kill Y" and they were processed correctly. I imagine "trade 20 coins for Wand of Death, then attack Z with it" would work just as well. That's not the sort of thing that the "no conditional actions" rule was put in place to prevent, I don't think. You still have to wait for all the actions to go through, but you don't have to refresh your browser window every 5 minutes waiting for PMs from Stareye. You can generally queue up an action and it'll be processed as soon as it's valid, as long as you don't do something ridiculous like queueing up two days' worth of actions at a time.

I'm a role that's more reliant on what other people are doing than most, AND I'm in a vastly different time zone than Stareye. Marlenny is in the same position on both counts, and she managed to do pretty well too. While I probably would have benefited from more timely processing of actions, I don't feel that the way Stareye ran the game seriously disadvantaged me.

If you want specifics, andraste should have had me and marlenny (and omlette) donate 20 coins to her about 10 hours before she was killed, then buy the wand of death, then kill you, then attack someone else. Instead by the time she got the coins she was dead.

You were on cooldown, she was not, but her actions couldn't get processed fast enough.

Come to think of it, the right way to solve all of these timing problems would probably be with a small offsite web application that handles all actions automatically, if that were possible. It'd only take a day's work to set up and it'd save time in the long run.

I have been thinking of the application idea. It would be great if someone with more skill in those sorts of things than I would be willing to develop it. I do think it would take more than a day's work with the game's complexity, however.

(Although I am dead, this might be acceptable. *i may take me to task if it is not.)

What would really help is having all actions fire 24 hours from the last action taken by that player, being able to set up queues for several days, and yes, conditionals (including things like, for instance, "If X offers Y trade, I accept." Much of this would work better with an external site. Some would work better if *i were not the only game-runner.

—Alorael, who now has bouncing around in the back of his head the idea of a new role whose power is giving other roles additional actions. Tough to balance, but everyone's friend.