Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Lets Play Blades of Avernum

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic
Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 6,380
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:14 AM #106 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Appreciate all the information and comments from you two.  For a note, I create a backlog of videos and at this moment I have another 10 episodes (Plus today's) filmed, so I'm a BIT ahead of where you are.  I film on weekends, though, so you'll be more up to date with what I've seen soon.  As for what you said, let's see...

* Your tactics are getting better, but they're still sub-optimal. Acid doesn't really do anything for high-level parties and high-level monsters. Summoning is of limited use; I would rarely recommend it. Buffs are critical; you need to be blessed and hasted basically every moment of every combat. Invulnerability is incredibly powerful for high-level parties; you can get it from your potions and from Arcane Shield (albeit very temporarily). Where they can be used, Capture Mind and Simulacrum are very powerful for high-level parties. (You should be using Simulacrum way, way more.) Cloud of Blades, as you're finding, also does pretty well for long combats at high levels.

This thing about spells is something that's always bothered me.  Spells CAN be useful, yes, but I so rarely use the powerful ones because, especially here, spell points are a very valuable resource, and the most powerful spells get swallowed up VERY quickly.  Because of this, I rarely ever use the most powerful spells, especially on my cleric as I NEED those spell points for other spells, namely healing (especially constant healing on many of these fights.).  Requiring buffs on your characters 24/7 is also something I find annoying as it basically means your mage and cleric are always starting at a handicap in a fight, with less spell points than normal, and it also tells you "Your units cannot survive on their own, every fight is a BIG effort" which just doesn't seem right to me.  And as for summoning... as I've seen in my experimentation, Arcane Summon and possibly Divine Host are about the only spells of use now as sometimes you can end up with a very powerful unit, such as drakes.  Then again, sometimes you end up with a pair of sliths.  It's a gamble.

You are moving into the player made scenarios now and you need to adjust your expectations. You probably know this already, but I still feel the need to say it. Most designers were very young when they made these, and had never done anything like it before. They weren't seasoned, professional game designers. It's just like Kel said, it was his first scenario and he didn't know what he was doing. You are going to find a lot of rough edges the more scenarios you play, and in more than one area of design. Just wait till you see the writing in TM's scenarios.

This... you make a good point, and I really should have taken note of this.  I'll have to make a few comments appologizing for a bit of a rant I took later on in the LP over this scenario and refer to this sort of comment, as well as adjust how I go into these, with expectations and the like.

Also, about your lets play, you might consider changing the order of the scenarios you are planning to play. If you want to play all the ones that are directly related to each other first, you will be front-loading your lets play with some of the biggest, meatiest, and best (I think) scenarios. You should definitely follow their order, but you don't have to play them back-to-back.

My current plan had been to play the scenarios in the following order: First every utility (Done, as you saw), then every scenario with sequels meant to be played in order, then all the scenarios in order of level suggestion from lowest to highest, then every scenario with a level requirement of "Any", then any prefab scenarios, and finally the few scenarios I have that don't have any recommended level.  This means the ones I was going to start with was Bahssikava/Exodous/Nobody's Heroes/The Magic, then HIM/HIM 2, then Mad Ambition/Echoes Renegade, then Frostbite/Tales, then Turn That Frown Upside Down 1/2.  In that order.  Then I'd move on to the rest, as those were the only ones I was told had sequels.  Perhaps I am front-loading, but I had hoped getting them out of the way would make it easier for me to keep track of things.  Let me know if I'm wrong, or if you want to see the full list I'll be doing.

Depending on how far you have already recorded, there will be a laser puzzle in your future. It will be far more pleasant to deal with if you turn off the sound in the options of BoA.

Wouldn't you know it, that's actually the very next episode.  I skip the catacombs temporarily for a little break from the fighting, and check out the machinery below.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,773 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:36 AM #107 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Blessing and hasting at least your warriors in basically every combat is going to be very useful in most BoA scenarios. Bahssikava and Exodus (and most of the rest of BoA scenarios) have the potential to be extremely frustrating if you don't bless and haste most of the time. It doesn't require much spell energy, given your level (8 to bless both warriors, 12 to haste both warriors).

I don't think you rarely use the high-level (Arcane/Divine-branded) spells. You've used them in almost every combat that I've seen. I would recommend using them a lot less than that. Most of them are not worth it most of the time. For example, if you're fighting something that is stronger than what Arcane Summon summons, then Simulacrum is better than Arcane Summon (unless Simulacrum can't be used), and Simulacrum uses fewer spell points. Divine Host is almost always a bad idea, because it uses as many spell points as three Cloud of Blades spells or two Divine Fire spells (or 15 Healing spells), which are almost always better. Healing and Bolt of Fire are basically free; everything else should be rationed.

And yes, I'd also recommend putting some other high-level scenario in between Bahssikava and Exodus so as to strengthen your party before you deal with the monstrosity that is Exodus. Maybe Canopy and/or Backwater Calls? They were both high-level scenarios released around the same time as Bahssikava (late 2004/early 2005), which might give a flavor of what BoA was like at the time.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

Tarsus Tarsus

Citizen

• Member ID: 866
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:29 PM #108 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

That was a pretty funny episode for me. :lol: I will be looking forward to the laser puzzle in A Perfect Forest.

I guess it doesn't really matter if you front load the scenarios or not. It will all be recorded at some point.

I would like to see a list of the 10 or so scenarios you added to the earlier list though. I might want to add them to my own. I can try to make a list to give a general idea of each scenarios length if that would help. Though I haven't played every single scenario, I would have to guess at some.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 6,380
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:54 PM #109 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

A very quiet episode as we maneuver our way towards solving the puzzles down here.

I appologize for the late upload today.  I slept through my alarm and had to run to catch a train for work.

Spoiler

And in regards to Tarsus' question, this is the list of scenarios I will be playing, in the order I will be doing them.

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lets Play, Blades of Avernum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users