• Announcements

• Platonic Fluid Dynamics

Logging in   05/10/2017

If you had an account and can't log in as of 5/9/17, this may be because of a change in logins with new forum software. You can log in using your publicly displayed name (not your username) or your email address and the password you used before.   If you have problems with this, please ask any of the mods or admins. 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rampant

A:EftP - Dispel Barrier??

9 posts in this topic

I'm trying to find dispel barrier. It isn't available to me from Fort Dranlon... is there a quest that needs to be done first or something??

Maiwan in Fort Dranlon has a quest to obtain a Slith book across the river in the Swamp City. After that you can learn two levels of Dispel Barrier.

Oh! It's also possible to learn 1 (or maybe 2???) levels of Dispel from an outdoor special encounter with Aranea west-southwest of Fort Remote. You'll still need to visit Khoth to hit the third level, though.

...And you do need to get the third level if you want to get everything - I've only just started to get into the Sss-Thsss quest and there are several areas that need Dispel Barrier at a higher level than the 2 I currently have.

The aranea guarded spell book west of Fort Remote only gives 1 level.

Almost every place starting with the Tower of Magi has level 3 barriers and usually they are worth it for items.

So, to clarify, you need to do Mairwen's quest AND reach Khoth to get level 3. Reaching Khoth requires either the Orb of Thralni, or the key from the Giant Castle. Both involve fighting medium-to-high level monsters. Also, you cannot get in to Khoth's lair without either having a reputation around the teens or higher, or doing a fairly tough fight against a bunch of undead. So it is not practical to race to level 3 Dispel Barrier at the start of the game.

If you get lucky or know what you're doing, you can sneak into the Stagnant Tunnels and immediately go right for the Orb. No fighting involved.