Could Monarch be Barzhal?

I keep seeing questions about who Shaper Monarch really is, so , has anyone ever considered that he might be Barzhal?

He seemed to fit the description: Powerful, loved tinkering with even more powerful creations (remember, Barzhal made the first Drakon, and I believe the first Eyebeast). And in his dialogue, he says that he was 'Driven from his empire in a land far from here' (not an exact quote). Is it canon that Barzhal was killed? Or could he be Monarch?

Most of Monarch's creations seemed to be more of a hassle than a real threat. If Brazahl was truly he, I think he would have created more effective minions with the specific purpose of destroying a faction, instead of rogues roaming randomly. I also believe he would have a, atleast small amount of followers. I also believe he would be quite old by this time.

It is possible that it would be Barzahl. While his outward creations were not that powerful they were high in numbers. He did shape Titan and a few other nasty things that only someone really powerful could make. Of course, all of this is speculation as there are other possibilities as well.

Originally Posted By: Nebulan
Brazahl would be more organised. Monarch acted rather schizophrenic.

One canister to many, or one bad canister, or perhaps a faulty encounter with a geneforge.

I had the idea that it could be Phariton or whatever his name was, the guy that liked to shape exploding serviles.

Hmm. Well, I did a quick grep and it doesn't look like it's stated explicitly. Amena Blade mentions that Zakary and Barzahl are "gone now" in several paragraphs of text that he repeats word for word in both G3 and G4 -- hah. That's vague, though. Circumstantial evidence certainly suggests that the canonical G2 ending was the loyalist/non-aligned ending, since we know that the PC did kill at least Easss, and neither the Barzites nor the Awakened had their plans come to fruition.

While I suppose it's possible that Barzahl somehow slipped away, went into hiding for years while becoming even crazier, and then turned into Monarch, it seems exceedingly unlikely -- and perhaps a bit implausible given Barzahl's abhorrence of rogues.

Yes, but they do fit Barzahl's idea for creations. Remember the Thahad (can't remember what it was called). The thhad area east of Rising?

Slarty Said:

and perhaps a bit implausible given Barzahl's abhorrence of rogues.

See above. Barzahl didn't mind rouges when they had a purpose. (And Monarch is quite mad, which, if he is Barzahl, probally indicated a major personality change.)

Hmm, it could be Barzahl. I never thought about it. Then again the ending text said he was killed in the G2 ending during the unaligned ending. Then again jeff has been known to edit the endings a little bit. Then again, like Nebulan said, he would have to be quite old by now as he was middle aged in G2(so was Anema Blade) and Monarch seemed reletinvly young in G4, so maybe...

Nebulan will say again Barzhal, while ever so slightly insane, was very organised. Perhaps he would be more like Monarch if he ran out of canisters, but that would not make much sence given the rebels views on them.

Originally Posted By: Nebulan

We have a nice quote feature too pitch...

The following tags are available for your use if UBBCode is enabled:

Remove the symbol ^ for all functions

Text Formatting

[^b] text [/^b] = Makes the given text bold.

[^i] text [/^i] = Makes the given text italic.

[^u] text [/^u] = Underlines the given text.

[^s] text [/^s] = Will post your text with a line through it (strike through).

[^color:red] text [^/color] = Makes the given text red.

[^color:#00FF00] text [^/color] = Makes the given text green. [^size:20pt] text [^/size] = Will change the size of the text to whatever size value you specify.

[^font:Comic Sans MS] text [^/font] = Will post your text with the specified font.

Links

[^email] joe@email.com [^/email] = Makes the given email address clickable.

[^email= joe@email.com ] text [^/email] = Makes the given email address clickable.

[^url] link [^/url] = Makes the given url into a link.

[^url= link ] title [^/url] = Makes the given title into a hyperlink pointing to link.

[^img] link [^/img] = Embeds an image.

Code Tags & Highlighting

[^code] text [^/code] = Surrounds the given text with pre format tags.

[^php] text [^/php] = Passes the text through the PHP Syntax Highlighter

[^highlight] text [^/highlight] = Will highlight your text.

[^spoiler] text [^/spoiler] = Will wrap your text in a spoiler container. Users must click a button in order to see this text, thus giving them the ability to specify if they want to read the item.

[^spoiler:warning] text [^/spoiler] = Will wrap your text in a spoiler container and allow you to specify the warning message displayed. Users must click a button in order to see this text, thus giving them the ability to specify if they want to read the item.

Text and Image Alignment

[^align:left|center|right] text [^/align] = Will align the text in the direction defined.

[^img:left|center|right] Image URL [^/img] = Will allow you to allow text to wrap on the specified side of your image.

Misc.

[^list]

[^*]Item 1

[^*]Item 1

[^/list] = Makes a bullet list. [^list=A] or [^list=1] will make order/numbered lists. Other options include: circle, i, I, a, A, 1, disc, square.

[^quote] text [^/quote] = Surrounds the given text with blockquote and hr's. This UBBCode tag is used for quoting a reply.

[^quote=username] text [^/quote] = Surrounds the given text with blockquote and hr's. This UBBCode tag is used for quoting a reply. The username specified will be shown as quoted.

more can be found in the "FAQ" link beside the "search" button and adjacent to the "who's online box".