Here's to the upcoming GF 5 and 6 ...

From the latest Spiderweb newsletter (emphasis added):

Quote:
We have begun beta testing for the next chapter of the Geneforge saga, Geneforge 4: Rebellion! At last, the conspiracies of the first half of the story have broken out into open warfare.
Maybe this is being too literal, but I infer that Jeff intends there to be two more GF games after G4. Can the series really stay fun and interesting that long? I don't know, but my experience so far in beta-testing G4 makes me feel that the series is definitely not getting tired yet -- there's a lot of creativity in this one. We'll have a better idea how much further the series could run once we see how many fresh possibilities this next instalment raises.

I'm getting tired of the plot. Maybe Jeff can do something interesting in GF5, but I would like to see something seriously different. There is a whole world where Shapers aren't known or weren't in GF1. The Sholai had't heard of them because of the ocean.

You could have a more advanced shaper going through an area where there isn't the support for learning except for combat and magic skills.

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
I'm getting tired of the plot. Maybe Jeff can do something interesting in GF5, but I would like to see something seriously different. There is a whole world where Shapers aren't known or weren't in GF1. The Sholai had't heard of them because of the ocean.

You could have a more advanced shaper going through an area where there isn't the support for learning except for combat and magic skills.
Um, this would be BoG. Which isn't in the cards for at least a year. Patience, and practice with BoA until then. There is nothing that says you can't make a Geneforge world using the BoA engine.

Quote:
Originally written by *i:
I've said this before, but personally I'm ready to see something totally new. Don't get me wrong, I like Geneforge and Avernum, but I think it's time for a nice standalone game like Nethergate.
I agree. I generally dislike long series, because quality tends to degrade over time and even if it doesn't, I prefer to read/watch/play something new. Even the best story gets stale if it's milked too much. I'll probably try a demo of Gf4, but it would have to be better than any previous games (a very high bar to cross) for me to register it.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:
I agree. I generally dislike long series, because quality tends to degrade over time and even if it doesn't, I prefer to read/watch/play something new. Even the best story gets stale if it's milked too much. I'll probably try a demo of Gf4, but it would have to be better than any previous games (a very high bar to cross) for me to register it.
I dunno. I think most companies where the long series got dry and stuff were large ones, y'know? Jeff could pull it off. With a lot of effort.