Is 8 really the highest useful leadership?

Walter

When in the shaper keep, I talked to the trainer, and was told I couldn't get training as I hadn't helped the shapers and "you aren't persuasive enough to convince him otherwise". I have 8 leadership, and wonder if that is a red herring, or if higher leadership will let you get training without helping the shapers.

The more rebellious your actions have been, the more Leadership you'll need in some encounters. You could have done it with much lower leadership before doing some quests, but it's not terribly important.

—Alorael, who does believe it's always possible to get training with enough leadership. Enough just becomes unrealistic very quickly.

Some infiltrator items will raise leadership. There are a few places where leadership of 10 will help you get experience and avoid a fight. Moseh's Bunker to repair him, West Illya Road with the patrol thahds, and Alwan to avoid revealing the Safehouse (that might be lower).

I assume you are talking about Duncan in Rivergate Keep. Although Leadership can make it easier to get him to train you, you don't need it, and you only need a minimal pro-shaper reputation (105) to utilize him. Leadership exchanges on a 1 to 1 basis with reputation for his check, so pumping leadership high for that would be a gross waste of skill points.

Uh, Slar, what are you talking about? There's definitely a reputation requirement to get the Repair Moseh quest. Even your own reputation guide mentions it, and I've just checked the Rivergate Keep script myself; it's definitely there.

As far as I can tell, you can't report Moseh's death to Alwan unless you got the quest, either.

In the other GF games, I find that having a silver tongue really helps you through some tough conversations. I always buy a about 12-15 levels myself. However, I don't fully know how much I need in G2 thru G4, because I only have the demos (I know, shame on me, though I do have G1), and usually don't buy more than what I need for the demo portion.

I read in another thread recently that each point of leadership gives a benefit of one point of reputation for that trainer, where any quest with 2 outcomes gives 1-5 reputation, so you really can't have enough leadership there if you always help the rebels. Someone said there are a few normal encounters where 12 leadership will do something in the game.