Geneforge 5 For Mac, v1.0.1 Public Beta[G5]

Spidweb

I have put together a public beta for v1.0.1 of Geneforge 5: Overthrow. Not a lot of huge or world-shaking changes, but definitely some improvements. You can download it at

(Beta has been taken down.)

The current changes:

v1.0.1 -

* The registration window now gets the name of the game right.

* A new cheat code has been added: "resetbugs". This undoes destroying or freeing the shredbugs in the Shadow Road, in case you need to choose a different path for the faction you want to join.

* Geneforge 5 is not compatible with case-sensitive hard drives. An error message has been put in to catch problems here.

* A number of minor typo fixes and quest logic tweaks.

If you try it out, please let me know at spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com. Even if you try it and it works fine, this is useful info.

There is one questionable issue. At the end of the first zone, you fight a vlish. Then there is a cutscene where you meet Rawal. There is a veeeeeery rare problem where the game can lock up during this cutscene. I put some code in in v1.0.1 to watch for the cutscene taking too long and moving it along if it seems to freeze. I _might_ have fixed the problem.

If you try the game out and run into issues during this fight, let me know. Tell me as much as possible about where in the cutscene you are. (Is the vlish dead yet? What did Rawal say? Etc.)

- Jeff Vogel

BadScreen.png

I get this screen when I run the program. I've downloaded it twice, once with ftp and the next time with the HTTP download. As I have (gasp) DIALUP, this does not bode well. All other versions of Geneforge that I have work fine, as do all versions of Avernum. Any/all/some help would be deeply appreciated, as this is making the long-awaited gameplay even longer and more awaited.

Just a bug that I have on this version and the original version. I have the new aluminum Macbook with the glass trackpad and I usually have to tap twice in order for it to register the tap while playing the game. Clicking works but not tapping. I prefer tapping on it by far but it is a bit of a pain to have to tap everything twice for everything. Anyone else have the same issue?

I am taking down the beta now. Thank you for your information.

If you have had the problem with the weird, garbled graphics, it would be a big help if you wrote me at spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com. Be sure to tell me a lot about your system (chip, model, operating system, etc.).

- Jeff Vogel