Damage calculation in Av1/Av2

Take the damage 2-20 and divide the maximum damage amount 20 by the minimum 2 to get the number of damage dice 10 with each die doing 1-2 points of damage. Each level of strength and/or melee/pole weapon skill adds an additional die of damage, Certain other skills like anatomy will add extra damage.

You want a weapon with the higher die value later in the game where your strength and weapon skills can increase the number of extra damage dice more than the weapon's maximum damage. This is why a stick doing 1-4 can be a deadly weapon.

I think Randomizer mistook your question as being about Avernum 4. I wouldn't know, but I think A 1 and 2 use different algorithms.

Either way, that derivation of damage dice is wrong. If in a later game you had a 2-20 weapon, it would be the equivalent of 2d10 (min d max/min), not 10d2 -- which would produce a range of 10-20 instead.

In BoA, a weapon has a bonus and a die size. A weapon description would read something like: "Does 4-16 plus 1-4 per point of strength/weapon skill" where 1-4 would be the die size, and 4-16 would be the bonus damage (4 extra dice.) Presumably it works the same way in the trilogy, but the die size isn't stated explicitly. So when it says "Weapon does 4-16" it is implied that the bonus is 4, and the die size is d4.

• 1 year later...

I still dont get it, seems very simple in theory, but in practice result is simply not quite predictable. Just started Avernum 3, a character has 7 Str and 3 Melee, with a weapon of (2-10)+(1-5) that comes to final damage of 12-60, right ? Well then how come he always does a minimum 30 damage ? I've seen him do damage in range of 32-37, never less than 30 and never more than 40.

Originally Posted By: karry
I still dont get it, seems very simple in theory, but in practice result is simply not quite predictable. Just started Avernum 3, a character has 7 Str and 3 Melee, with a weapon of (2-10)+(1-5) that comes to final damage of 12-60, right ? Well then how come he always does a minimum 30 damage ? I've seen him do damage in range of 32-37, never less than 30 and never more than 40.

The damage is done on a bell curve because each dice is rolled individually, and then added. You're many times more likley to do damage very close to the mean than the extremes. It's just about impossibly to do the maximum or minimum damage.

In calculator terms, you'd be doing randint(1,5)+randint(1,5)+randint(1,5)..., as opposed to 12*randint(1,5).