gladwell's curse

xerex

So, I have killed the chitrach queen and killed everything in Khorra Vyss except the horror and I have killed everything that is killable before going into the howling depths except for the shade moref. I can't beat his unstable sentinels. I run out of mana before I have "angered" him twice because I have to spend it all healing.

So because I haven't killed moref yet, I don't have the mindwarp chitrach quest and I can't anger the anama by stealing their scrolls because I still need to talk to kingsley.

If I go into the howling depths to find more xp so I can kill Moref, I am told I will grow sick.

Now I can just go in and see what it does, but it will just show a little icon probably and I will have some sort of penalty doing things exactly. I am wondering, how much is the penalty associated with the sickness exactly. Is it a death curse? poison? curse? something completely different?

On a side note, will solberg get angry if I loot his tower in the north east if I sneak by all the sentinels? I am not sure I could take the cheeseballs anyway, but it might be worth trying to get some more xp somewhere so I can kill moref.

Quote:
Originally written by xerex:
So, I have killed the chitrach queen and killed everything in Khorra Vyss except the horror and I have killed everything that is killable before going into the howling depths except for the shade moref. I can't beat his unstable sentinels. I run out of mana before I have "angered" him twice because I have to spend it all healing.
Watch at the end of each round of unstable servant attacks for the very quick appearance of swirling lights around one servant that has Moref in him. You don't always see it because you rarely have all the servants in a clump. You could use an invulnerability potion on one fighter and have the rest retreat to force them to clump around that one fighter.

Quote:
If I go into the howling depths to find more xp so I can kill Moref, I am told I will grow sick.

Now I can just go in and see what it does, but it will just show a little icon probably and I will have some sort of penalty doing things exactly. I am wondering, how much is the penalty associated with the sickness exactly. Is it a death curse? poison? curse? something completely different?
I never tried it, but it shouldn't be too difficulty to survive it.

Quote:
On a side note, will solberg get angry if I loot his tower in the north east if I sneak by all the sentinels? I am not sure I could take the cheeseballs anyway, but it might be worth trying to get some more xp somewhere so I can kill moref.
Solberg only gets mad if you go back to him and taunt him with his stolen papers. So he arcane blows you, you can take it, smile

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
You could use an invulnerability potion on one fighter and have the rest retreat to force them to clump around that one fighter.
I think that when one of your characters leave a specific area of Moref's lair, the fight will reset. It happened to me once.

Ok, yeah..I don't know what the exact percent is, but it looks like its about 50% miss chance..which is a lot, but since I am mostly running and the darkside loyalists are pretty weak compared to what I have been facing so far, it isn't too terribly difficult. I am only about half-way through though.

As for Moref, the AI is apparently too smart on my machine. I try sticking my tank in the middle (cleverly named TANK) and a majority of the mobs go after my archer/priest (cleverly named PRIEST). When I stack my priest with armor and fire resistance, they go after my assasin instead. I am glad they do this because it makes the game more challenging, but it does make moref very difficult...especially since I can't use any chokepoints and action point system is so bad, I can't actually block with my TANK. They just walk right around him to get to my softer, fleshier characters that are better for the pounding.

For now, I am killing spiny larvae in the chitrach nest repeatedly to get a much needed level..3 characters within 100 xp of a level. Once I run out of mana, I will probably go annoy solberg a little by looting his tower.

I wonder if the two sentinels in front of his tower count towards the number needed to make the town hostile.

Quote:
Originally written by Khoth:
If you go to the Howling Depths without doing Gladwell's morally ambiguous bidding, then some fraction (10%? 25%?) of your attacks will automatically miss.
Just out of curiosity: Will killing Gladwell remove this curse, or have I essentially ruined my Anama joining game by accepting the wizard's geas?

Quote:
Originally written by Redstart:
Just out of curiosity: Will killing Gladwell remove this curse, or have I essentially ruined my Anama joining game by accepting the wizard's geas?
You have to give the item to Gladwell to remove the curse so you won't be able to join the Anama this game. You might be able to play through to the end with the curse. Once you rob the Anama they are hostile.

You have to kill Gladwell to be able to remove the geas.

There are cheat methods to reset the stuff done flags to make the Anama like you, but it's better just to start a new game.

Speaking of mixing Gladwell's curse & the Anama...

I'm wondering if the "Dark Magic" Alcander mentions is only Gladwell's Curse and not the attack spells that I suppose they don't seem to like? In other words, I'm wondering if, if I play the game again and want to join the Anama, I can train in all the spells I want until I reach the Anama, and be able to join them as long as I don't get Gladwell's Curse? (Which I would not do again, but... you know... I had to see what it would make me do and what the benefits were... .)

Well Gladwell pisses me off since he lied about the effects of the Geas, so Im not getting his damn scrolls. Hell, I would have not killed the drake either, but it was physically impossible to proceed in the game without killing the drake. I guess I better saddle up. Its gonna be a long fight through the howling depths.

Quote:
Originally written by Clavicle:
I'm wondering if the "Dark Magic" Alcander mentions is only Gladwell's Curse and not the attack spells that I suppose they don't seem to like?
Yeah, it's just Gladwell's geas. You can train in mage spells all you like before joining the Anama -- just keep in mind that once you join up, all the skill points you put into mage spells will be wasted.