G2 sect simpatising

wxxqut

No! They are, in fact, polar opposites. Trakovites believe in no shaping, but they don't hate creations. Barzites are pro-canisters and pro-shaping even when it mean shaping things they can't control, but they are against creation rights. Total opposites.

By the way, I sympathize with the Barzites, which is why I get defensive when they are confused with Trakovite scum.

Originally by Emperor Tullegolar:

Quote:
By the way, I sympathize with the Barzites, which is why I get defensive when they are confused with Trakovite scum.
...and woe betide anyone who confuses the Trakovites and the Tullegolites!

Given that the Shapers are incompetent, the Barzites crazy, and the Takers mad, Dikiyoba has to go with the Awakened. Mostly with them, anyway.

Loyalist, completely 100%.

I always respected the Awakened for trying but I prefer the Takers who seem more grounded in reality (maybe not individually but the whole 'we can live as equals' idea the Awakened champion is just silly.)

It makes me sad because I feel for those poor serviles and every abandoned creation found in the games.

The official Awakened doctrine may be moral, but as I've argued before, the Awakened in practice are clearly and rapidly becoming what they beheld. Learned Pinner is a nice old lady, and their only really major player is the canister-addled demon-summoning Tuldaric. Their great plan is to hold off the Shapers with an army of enslaved Drakons, while modifying themselves into magery, and so giving both the Barzites and the Takers good runs for their money.

Survival in a world of Shapers requires power, but that power doesn't just corrupt. It is corruption. The Awakened refuse to recognize this dilemma. They're not standing on the moral high ground; they just have their heads in the clouds, while their feet are rushing down the same slope as everyone else. This means they have a good chance of producing the worst disasters of all, and so they stand not for moral wisdom but for moral folly. It is understandable to want them to be the good guys. But if you pay attention to what they're actually doing, I think you see that they really aren't.

Quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:
The official Awakened doctrine may be moral, but as I've argued before, the Awakened in practice are clearly and rapidly becoming what they beheld. Learned Pinner is a nice old lady, and their only really major player is the canister-addled demon-summoning Tuldaric. Their great plan is to hold off the Shapers with an army of enslaved Drakons, while modifying themselves into magery, and so giving both the Barzites and the Takers good runs for their money.
Why do I keep hearing about "enslaved Drakons"? Even the most experinced Shapers can control only a few Drakons at a time, and Awakened have only two shapers among their ranks. So there is no way they could control hundreds of drakons through compulsion. (It might be possible with some super-mind control device, but I don't remember any mention of device like that in the story, and it would be obviously something important enough to at least mention.)

So Drakons of the Awakened are allies, rather than slaves.

Quote:
Survival in a world of Shapers requires power, but that power doesn't just corrupt. It is corruption. The Awakened refuse to recognize this dilemma. They're not standing on the moral high ground; they just have their heads in the clouds, while their feet are rushing down the same slope as everyone else. This means they have a good chance of producing the worst disasters of all, and so they stand not for moral wisdom but for moral folly. It is understandable to want them to be the good guys. But if you pay attention to what they're actually doing, I think you see that they really aren't.
The game itself disagrees with you. The Awakened ending does not involve them getting any more power than you see during the game. According to the Awakened victory text, their sect gains just enough power to hold their mountain valley, then fights defensively until shapers are willing to negotiate a cease-fire. Defending mountain passages with the help of their Drakon allies does not require nearly as much power as exterminating all the Shaper, which is the goal of the other factions.

So according to game canon, the Awakened actually are as moral as they aspire to be. (Which is why Jeff removed them before Geneforge 3.)

• 4 weeks later...

I think all the sects in GF2 have something to admire. Barzhal's gumption and courage to go where 'no man has gone before'. Zakary's repentance and adherence to his beliefs. The Awakened's desire to negotiate with the Shapers, despite the pain they caused serviles in the past. The Taker's pure grit and determination in taking the battle to the enemy.

Overall, I tend to find myself sympathising with the Takers.