Journal is useless!

Whilest you are talking to an NPC, a little book icon is shown in the corner of the window. Click on that to record what they are currently saying.

Sholai are people from outside Shaper lands, it was them that started the whole chain of events off when they landed on the Barred Island and found the original Geneforge.

Quote:
Originally written by Cyber_Skaarj:
Whilest you are talking to an NPC, a little book icon is shown in the corner of the window. Click on that to record what they are currently saying.

Sholai are people from outside Shaper lands, it was them that started the whole chain of events off when they landed on the Barred Island and found the original Geneforge.
I cannot believe it. I've played Geneforge for years, and I never knew how to record the conversations. I had always wondered about the journal, but by the time I joined SW I had already given up on it and forgot to ask. I can't wait to tell my lil brother when he wakes up; he kept bugging me about it for months.

Edit: You would think that after 3 years in here I would know how to type properly.

What I find painful is that you can't quickly scroll through the Journal, but have to laboriously click down. So if I record too much, I know it will be too much trouble to find anything. Hence I hardly record anything, and never end up needing anything I have recorded. Hence I have no real use for the Journal.

There's one game, can't remember if it's Geneforge or not, where even after you delete notes you have to scroll through all the empty slots in order to get to the ones with info saved in them. That's rather annoying.

Personally I preferred the exile 1 & 2 model of saving text to an external txt file, which you could then open in the text editor of your choice, to perform regexp searches and so on.

Quote:
Originally written by Micawber:
There's one game, can't remember if it's Geneforge or not, where even after you delete notes you have to scroll through all the empty slots in order to get to the ones with info saved in them. That's rather annoying.
Exile 3 and BoE sometimes do this. You're right about it being annoying.

Originally by Micawber:

Quote:
It's Geneforge. And Geneforge 2. Seeing the labels without having to scroll through them all is nice, but the deleted slots that don't go away is a terrible feature.

[Empty]

[Empty]

Dikiyoba.

Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:
Originally by Micawber:

Quote:
It's Geneforge. And Geneforge 2. Seeing the labels without having to scroll through them all is nice, but the deleted slots that don't go away is a terrible feature.

[Empty]
[Empty]
Dikiyoba.
The empty slots do go away, but I'm not sure what makes it happen. I think it's shutting down and reopening the game. (Don't forget to save!)

I use the journal *a lot*, because I only have time to play a couple of zones per week and I need to be able to refresh my memory. I like the journal size, much better than the Exile games.

The journal has two minor quirks I occasionally find annoying:

1) If there are empty slots, those are filled first (may be in sequence you deleted them), which can make entries hard to find.

2) If what an NPC tells you changes, you cannot record the new version unless you first delete the old version. For example, Clakkit in G1 tells you different things about what the serviles think of you, Pinner tells you different things about your appearance... This feature is a consequence of the game's method of ensuring you don't record duplicates of entries. It probably shouldn't be messed with, as the alternatives are likely to be more annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

The only things I've used the journal for are to record recipies, important coversations that one should definately need to remember and books. Hehe, I'm a bookworm, I like to sneak into my journal and read them time and time again.

Oh, I also save whenever something funny happens text-wise. Those are just gems, don't you agree?