Geneforge Online

Doom989

The GF interface actually could sort of work in an online format. The turn-based combat would have to be shifted to real-time, and dialogue would probably have to work differently, but most of the needed changes could be mostly invisible engine changes.

But it would be such a massive rewrite of the inner workings of the engine that there's sort of no point. Jeff could never do it, and he's said so.

frankly, i wouldn't want him to do it. or at least, not GF as it currently is.

possibly if they were to make a GF based strategy based game or something i could see it, but otherwise i still say no.

of course, even that isn't likely to happen as an online game, since if it's too much work and resources involved to modify GF to be online, then i doubt it's any easier to make an entirely new game engine, and then to make that online wink

mind you, i dunno how much effort it would be to make it LAN playable... that might be interesting...

we haven't seen much of the GF world. how do we know how big it is? really, you've seen a single island (GF1) a small area way out in the middle of nowhere (GF2), and a small chain of islands off the mainland (GF3). consider how big the mainland might be, not to mention any further islands, and also consider that there's a whole continent out there that we haven't seen (where the sholai come from).

i think the GF world is big enough, if they chose to put it all in there.

We've been over this before. Spiderweb Software consists of Jeff Vogel, his wife and his secretary: that's it. It's not a high-budget game studio which can afford to risk making a loss on some of its products in hopes of turning out a big money-spinner. Jeff can't afford to spend that much time and money designing a game in a genre he's not experienced with and which may or may not sell well with his usual audience.