Room Decoration

I can't describe this with words, so here are images.

The right way to place walls:

good.jpg

The wrong way:

bad.jpg

For the most part, you want the former way, not the latter. Even though it looks weird in the editor, it looks fine in the game.

EDIT: This is assuming, of course, that the room that you're placing is INSIDE those walls and there is a door somewhere to get in.

Quote:
Originally written by Overwhelming:
Quote:
Originally written by magoicochea:
I am having trouble (...) because of the fact that you can place an object like a bed in a place that has already been used to place a wall.
Huh... So? What's the problem with that? Usually people place bed next to walls... confused
Sorry it was a typo it's can't instead of can.

Quote:
Originally written by magoichea:
Thanks Kel, what is the best strategy when you have to place two rooms that share the same wall?
This is a bit trickier. Obviously, one room will not be able to put other terrains in the square that has the wall in it. There are some other things you can put there to make it look less empty: crates, barrels, bloodstains, that sort of thing. Also, you can use the floors that are carpets in order to decorate. Additionally, items (like a potted plant, for instance) are good for this.

EDIT: To Djur: no, you can't put a terrain on the same tile as a wall (because a wall is a terrain, and you can't have two on the same tile). You can put items there, though.

If you dont want to share walls, you can add two tiles width of blackness between one room and the next. Clog the blackness with walls of T sections, and there should be a seperater of rooms, WITHOUT limiting another rooms potential. It takes up alot of space, though, and if the player uses far sight, he will relize the builders built a pit between two rooms wink

Quote:
Originally written by GIFTSare2squishy:
If you dont want to share walls, you can add two tiles width of blackness between one room and the next. Clog the blackness with walls of T sections, and there should be a seperater of rooms, WITHOUT limiting another rooms potential. It takes up alot of space, though, and if the player uses far sight, he will relize the builders built a pit between two rooms wink
But if they don't use Far Sight, they'll think there's a secret passage they can't find there. :p

• 2 weeks later...

I find that very irritating. What you can't do for instance is place a bed next to a wall and have a wall hanging behind it. The hanging is a 'terrain tile', so it doesn't work. Or a chest and a light source above it. Doesn't work. Or a chair and a picture on the wall above it. Doesn't work. Of course there are ways around it, but it's limiting what you can do in a room.

Minor, as I said, usually placing the walls the way that I recommended is best, but not always. You can, of course, mix and match, depending on what you want in the room.

I used to be annoyed by the limitations on wall hangings and what one can do with terrains, but the more I play with the editor, the less I care. Having a painting right next to a bed is almost exactly the same as having it above the bed, for instance.

I think the absolute first thing that made me cringe when I tried to do anything in the editor was when I realized how difficult drawing walls was in comparison to BoE walls.

You might see that the wall being a terrain issue as a bad limitation for what you can do in a room, but how often have you ever thought (when playing any of the Avernum games) that the rooms look terrible because there wasn't sufficient decoration?