What gender is Sulfras?

Forgive me if this question has been resolved before. I'm not sure about the sequels, but in the first Avernum game there seems to be some doubt as to whether Sulfras is male or female. I haven't found all the references, but two I have in my journal are from Khoth and the Slith Merchant:

Khoth:

Quote:
Sulfras is good for contemplating his own might, and little more.
Merchant:

Quote:
You ask who his main customer is. All he says is that her name is Sulfras.
Thanks.

Ecaep

• 4 weeks later...

It's a giant, fire-breathing lizard. It has no children and no apparent desire for them. As far as I'm concerned, it can change its gender all it wants as long as it gives me the Onyx Scepter on request.

—Alorael, who actually could see how that might be feasible with enough magic and different anatomy. Sounds more like a Khoth trick, though.

All five dragons are referred to primarily as "he" in Exile 1 -- not sure to what extent Avernum 1 fixes this. In Exile 2, Athron and Sulfras are mostly female and the others are mostly male (except Pyrog, who's dead and thus doesn't get mentioned much one way or the other.

As for the amphibian thing, yes, I think we've all seen Jurassic Park. :p

(Actually, changing sex isn't all that uncommon. Lots of fish can do it too.)