AEftP Trainer for Arcane Lore

34 minutes ago, Edgwyn said:

Erika does, but I think that you have to either have a higher reputation or do some quests first before she offers the training, but I cannot remember which for sure.

Then it must be the quest, as my reputation is at 43 legendary. Pity. Who needs Arcane Lore or Spellcraft advanced after killing Hawthorne???

• 2 weeks later...

My singleton has found the way to the surface and has also slewn Hawthorne, but I still don't get the option for Erika to teach AL. Or do I have to kill Grah Hoth, too? I purposely saved Grah Hoth until now to let those poor people at Fort Remote enjoy life a little longer. I'm off to give Micah the good news about Sss-Thsss's demise just now. Any suggestions? I don't really need any more AL at this point, my char is lvl 49 and has all the spells she needs, but I was  aiming for the spell medals.....

Hi Traute,

I merged your new topic with this one because it's exactly the same question.  (A lot of these questions could possibly go in one big topic anyway, but 2 topics for the same question is probably overkill.)

Is it possible there's a dialogue option you just haven't seen?  It looks like Erika has the same requirements for teaching spells as for teaching skills.

Last time I was advised to wait until one or two of the final quests were completed. After completing them I still only get the option to use her library and a list of spells to learn. I knew that Arcane Lore oder Cloak of the Arcane or Arcane Blow all look similar so I read this list slowly and very carefully. I don't think I missed the offer to buy Arcane Lore.

Or maybe I THOUGHT Arcane Lore training would be a reward, I don't recall. The only option concerning  training I get is "I could use training in the magical arts." Reply: "Very well, I am adept in all the magical realms. If you wish to learn some incantations, I can teach you, for a price. I know certain spells that are beyond the reach of most, and my libraries are open to you. .... and some remarks concerning her tower, to return safely."  Then there are two dialogue options: "What spells can you teach me?" followed by a list, and "Where is your library?" Same options before, during and after the Hawthorne and surface quests.

...okay, so this is extremely weird.

I didn't have AEFTP installed on this computer, so I downloaded it again and looked at the scripts.  Erika indeed does not have a dialogue option for training skills, at all, just as Traute has discovered.

However, there's lots of documentation from the game's release of people saying she did.  Synergy, Randomizer and myself all put it in our lists and guides, it's on the AEFTP Annotated Maps, and there's casual discussion of it on the forums as well.  We paid a lot of attention to trainers on release because in the initial Mac version (remember when the Mac version always came out first?  nostalgia!) training the second level cost double price, and it was harder to afford everything... so I really don't think that was just a propagated mistake.  Erika is the only trainer for some of those skills, so it would be a really strange communal error; we'd have had to invent prices for them out of thin air and everything.

Notably, Nlambert also has it in their index... which was posted in 2018!  So if it was (inadvertantly?) removed in some version upgrade, it has to have been in the last 6 years... or possibly it was simply never in certain versions to begin with?  Either one is weird.

The file in question (t66ErikasTowerdlg.txt) has a last modified date of November 14, 2011, which is shortly before the game was released.  So it wasn't changed later, though maybe an older version was mistakenly packaged in at some point?  I dunno.  This whole thing is weird.

I've actually just been playing through EFtP and Erika definitely has skills in her dialog tree. IIRC there is some precondition - it might have been joining the Scimitar.

I just checked and I have  v1.01. It's direct download instead of Steam, if that matters. I'll get a couple screencaps later.

EDIT: ok I just looked in-game and the skills are listed in the same place as spells and you have to scroll down. This is probably the source of confusion. Couldn't get embedding to work but:

https://i.imgur.com/b4nxH9R.png

Edited by Jawaj

I checked on v1.0.2

The teach spell list has when you scroll to the bottom, Aecane Lore, Spellcraft, and Magical Efficiency below the spell list. I haven't seen the game in over 10 years and forgot that it has a combined list instead of two separate training windows. So the script doesn't have a second section for skills when you train.