Confused by the background story

Hi,

I've just started playing Geneforge Mutagen and I'm a bit confused by the background story.

Seemingly it takes permanent essence to make a creation, and the shaper can get the essence back by absorbing a creation.

In that case, why is the island full of "leftover" creations? Doesn't that mean that a large number of shapers permanently gave up part of their essence, when they could have trivially absorbed at least the non-rogue creations? Why would they do that?

Or is this part of the storyline and explained later?

Some creations are made by nearby essence pools and spawners or Shapers that create them. You see the first of them in Watchhill.

Most of the creations are the offspring of existing creations which was where most serviles come from although there is a zone where new serviles were made.

The rule about using your own essence applies to creations you make and as an inexperienced Shaper you are limited to your own essence and can only make up to seven. With training that you never get you could make more, create them in combat, and use an essence pool.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. You can already see how rational thought is confusing you. :)

We can use an essence pool already! 

That said, I would like to point out that I think the "this essence is locked for you" is only "gameplay" rule, i.e. not actually part of the world. Furthermore other shapers can "release" a creation after making it. Or make them in big incubators. These creations are not directly controlled by the Shapers although they (generally) follow their orders. In some cases in games further down the storyline (very few cases) you can take control of a creation.

And... in case you follow a certain path you will become aware of a different way to control creations instead of "holding them" to your essence.  

Randomizer: Without spoiling things for the new guy, I will mention to you a few words: Taker amulet. And from future games: Monarch. And much more... ;) 

Yeah, the player learns sort of the default mode for shaping, but there are other modes that allow other shapers to shape either more rapidly (doing it on-the-fly in combat) or more sustainably (slowly forming creations that are not tied to the shaper in the same way and do not permanently restrict the shaper's personal essence).

Also, I thought most creations, besides serviles, were specifically engineered to be unable to reproduce on their own?  Maybe I'm misremembering here...

2 hours ago, EA-N A S I R said:

Also, I thought most creations, besides serviles, were specifically engineered to be unable to reproduce on their own?  Maybe I'm misremembering here...

That is the plan and the general rule. Most Shapers assume what you say is true and that the ones that can procreate are the exceptions of someone that didn't pay too much attention. 

Well, there are many exceptions. The Shapers are not as wise and careful as they pretend to be. 

9 hours ago, EA-N A S I R said:

I can't believe you got through this post without mentioning you-know-who.

I try to avoid spoilers for the new person. The new player will learn all about you-know-who, soon enough. And incidentally IIRC it was this person's lab assistants that went all "what's the harm for creations to be able to procreate?"