GF5: Who is this in the splash screen?

5 hours ago, googoogjoob said:

The essence-filled tubing running around the frame indicates that it's Alwan (meaning it's not a chair, it's his support frame thing). Nobody else has anything like it.

That's what I originally figured but I wasn't sure with the purple robes. I've only seen him in armor in other splash screens

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree. If the storyline were to progress to an attack on the citadel, Alwan will have already been dispatched. Further, if memory serves, the text states that the remaining three councilors are sustained by standing stationary on shaping platforms that are being fed a constant stream of essence. The throne might be an artistic liberty, but it otherwise seems logical to assume it is the high councilor.

It's been a while since I perused the other artistic renderings of Geneforge V, but I'm assuming if you look for the one of the council assembled (if you follow any of the other storylines), you'll see the high councilor wearing the same purple robes... I'll say that tentatively though.

It's not Alwan.  First off, let's look at the FULL image, not a cropped version:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/geneforge/images/a/a2/GF5splash.jpg

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/geneforge/images/a/a2/GF5splash.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20110223111244

That's not Alwan's support frame, that's a fancy throne.  There are no shaped conduits going into the thighs or arm of the person sitting there.  G5 clearly states Alwan has those.  It also states: "He can never sit."

G5 also has multiple pictures of Alwan in his support frame, and those differ from this chair in numerous ways, even just looking at the device itself.  Many of the points raised above apply as well (attack timing, robes vs armor, the hand magic swirl sure looks like battle magic and not shaping, etc etc).

I think the artist that made it was at least inspired by Alwan. The robes vs armor could be the artist thinking that a man tied on a slab couldn't wear armor. The conduits that don't go to arms, or that the Shaper's arms being as free as they appear could be artistic liberty. The person is not necessarily sitting, we don't see that. It could be a representation of Alwan's slab. 

Or, it could be someone else that has a device on his or her throne, similar to other Shapers in the series. Astoria has a nifty device around her throne. I don't remember Rawal but he could be the type to boost the throne. Taygen ... Not sure. 

Regardless of who it is, I think the magic swirl should be considered shaping because... Shaping is more useful when a bunch of enemies get in than battle magic. 

Edited by alhoon

The person is definitely sitting.  It's extremely clear.  You can see the side of the robe going horizontally across the seat and then dropping off where their knees are.

There's nothing about this image that is specific to Alwan, and numerous things that conflict with his portrayal in G5.  Yes, it's always possible the artist was inspired by something that final image bears no resemblance to.  Yes, every discrepancy could be artistic license.  There's simply nothing to suggest that happened here.

6 hours ago, alhoon said:

Do you think it could be Taygen or Rawal? I don't see "cold environment" effects so I don't think so, but it could be. Astoria had some things on her throne but the arm seems masculine. 

Or it could be an unnamed (or named) Shaper Lord that was hit by the Rebellion. 

i dont think either one of them had purple robes though its maybe possible they had different colored ones. now my head hurts. and what place are the drakons even invading?

2 hours ago, Amira The Hot Potato said:

Greta*

Greta? They didn't physically restrain Greta when they held her in the Northforge (or how it was called). They just didn't allow her to see Ghaldring or leave. Also, by that time, Greta was probably geneforged, so she would be glowing and stuff. And I think she was described with short hair.

11 hours ago, Amira The Hot Potato said:

it wasn't when they held her it was when he was talking to her. i'll look it up again but for it to be miranda doesn't make sense

Well, considering Miranda never met Galdring, you are right. Perhaps it is no one specific, just a sketch to symbolize the struggle of the Drakons and the rebellion against the Shapers.