-Advancing skill levels require more skill points with each progressing level.

-Avernum 3 had nights, unlike Exile 3.

-Avernum series has many more quests, which are placed in a convenient "current quests" window.

-The Avernum series lacks a bestiary, as well as a scry monster spell.

-Missle weapons deal more damage, especially in A3

-In A2, there is a secluded dungeon (South of Fort Draco)with a few gremlins and a giant...in E2 that dungeon had a naga.

-In A3 Rentar-Ihrno is defeated by altering some lasers, but in E3 you merely had to reach the control panel.

-"Ritual of Sanctification" is an ability instead of a spell in the Avernum series.

-The gold limit in the Exile series was higher.

-An experienced player can't simply say a word, he or she must have a set stuff done flag. For example, in E1 a player could merely say "Icarus", but in Avernum you had to have joined the Scimitar first.

I'll let the others finish.

In Exile, combat spells can target empty spaces as well as NPCs, which made invisible enemies much easier to deal with; plus it has two great generic damage spells that I really miss: Wound (L2 priest), and Shockwave (L7 mage). I especially miss Shockwave; when combined with Protection (another L7 mage spell), no Doomguard could last long against my party. laugh