Non-combat use of pyroroamers

As I have been playing through the Geneforge Saga these last few weeks, I've read a number of threads and guides on creations and Geneforge in general. However, I don't recall any of them ever mentioning that pyroroamers can be made to explode outisde of battle by using the Absorb command and harm any nearby, non-hostile NPCs without turning them hostile.

I only just realised this as I was playing Geneforge 5 on Torment, where even simple innkeepers have hundreds of HP, so I went back to Geneforge 1 and tried assasinating Rydell by exploding two pyroroamers next to him using absorb. No one turned hostile, and I was awarded the Pentil Key. I assume that this could be used to assasinate NPCs like Ellrah without turning everyone in Ellrah's Keep hostile, or just to get keys, nice loot etc. from people you normally can't kill without upsetting important towns.

Has anyone else ever tried this? It seems that it could be a very useful feature indeed.

I've only tried it in G1 and G5, but if exploding pyroroamers turned people hostile it would cause a lot of trouble in fights featuring allied NPCs.

Had I discovered this in the earlier games (particularly G1-G3), it would probably have been more useful. In G5, all important NPCs seem to have high HP scores, so the most profitable use I can think of so far is assassinating the Mera customs officer and plundering the toll chest. I will probably explore such opportunities the next time my Shaper runs low on cash.

^^Yeah, but if you create a bunch of pyroamers and put them close to the absorbed one, they all explode and the damage is cumulative-- though not enough to kill an important NPC. However, certain NPC stock types do drop goodies that you can pawn off for cash (soldiers, serviles, some creations) plus you can get experience points for them (though probably not much if 5 pyroamers can kill them)

That's interesting, although it should be noted that the Obeyers have the most leniency towards crimes. When I was playing the first Geneforge a few weeks back I killed Rydell with melee and nobody turned hostile. I'll definitely keep this in mind though. I'm only almost finished with my Geneforge 2 torment run so I still have 3 more games to go with 6+ playthroughs.

I just found an even more effective assassination technique: Rotdhizon Poisoning

All you need to do is to continuously send Rotdhizons to stand next to your target, absorb them, wait for the ensuing poison to wear off, send in the nex Rotdhizon etc.

I just used it to kill Platano without upsetting anyone and was still able to collect the reward from Rawal.

Seeing as how Isenwood's Spire has an essence pool, it is tempting to try this on Rawal despite his high HP.

I just found an even more effective assassination technique: Rotdhizon Poisoning

All you need to do is to continuously send Rotdhizons to stand next to your target, absorb them, wait for the ensuing poison to wear off, send in the nex Rotdhizon etc.

I just used it to kill Platano without upsetting anyone and was still able to collect the reward from Rawal.

Seeing as how Isenwood's Spire has an essence pool, it is tempting to try this on Rawal despite his high HP.

Fair warning: killing a Shaper Council member will have major consequences in terms of who's still willing to deal with you and what endings are available. Even if you do it in a way that doesn't involve attacking him directly, that will still be true.