Iron key and phoenix egg have disappeared

Just got the iron key and went off to get to Thompson and I don't have it when I need it.

Also, then read the pre reqs for Angierach and I don't have the phoenix egg either, though I received if from Rentro Irhno.

I also was able to get the phoenix egg from Pyrogs cave but don't have it either?

Any help would be great.

Also, in the blasted ruins there is a door on the right hand side of the level that says it can't be picked and I don't have the key to open it. Any idea where I can find that key (though it doesn't look like i need it to finish the game, just curious) - didn't get the final move mountains spell until recently so there may be a few places I should have been able to get into but wasn't at the time.

Edited by Snowwhite

Is it possible you got them, then reloaded an earlier save without realizing it? It's pretty easy to do that given the clunky save and load dialogue. (Probably, now that I think about it, the single SW interface element that's gone the longest without an improvement!)

Easy way to check: go back to the iron key location (or Rentar) and see if you can still get the items.

Update -

have not used any backtostart thing. didn't know it existed actually. running Win 7 purchased from Spiderweb.

Reloaded and went back to blasted ruins, got the key again, and now see that the game says it is an iron runed key and it shows in my inventory as a runed key. thought everything was good and went back to Fort Remote and it still doesn't work. i got a message about sun and bunnies when I click on the picture. Is there something else I should be doing, other than that which I am attempting to be doing?

Reloaded and went back to blasted ruins, got the key again, and now see that the game says it is an iron runed key and it shows in my inventory as a runed key. thought everything was good and went back to Fort Remote and it still doesn't work. i got a message about sun and bunnies when I click on the picture. Is there something else I should be doing, other than that which I am attempting to be doing?

You need to have been told where Thompson is hiding before you can reach him. Have you found the letter in Blosk? If so, have you spoken to Fraitus in Fort Remote about Thompson like the letter told you to?