Would someone please help with the Elderan battle. No matter how far away from his "magic circle" I get him, he still runs back after every round and comes back "invulnerable" and "regenerating". In the meantime, he continuously generates "shades" that need to be fought. My party is not taking much damage, it's just very frustrating. I've been at this battle for hours, and getting nowhere. Thank you for your help.

Before talking to him, go into the south hallway near the spellbooks and arrange your party so the fighters are closest to him and the mages and priest are farthest. Then start talking and get the option to attack. Let him stay in the ring and have the fighters attack with the others using range spells and area effects for his summons and him. You may need to use invulnerability potions on harder than normal difficulties and you should use speed potions. If you can do it then attack the shade too, but they go when he dies so concentrate on him.

Good luck.

I spent almost an hour in frustration, too. I quit the game and came back later. I found if you blow him off in the first round and put someone in the middle he will get back to the edge and the text will say he is protected but if he's not in the middle he isn't. At least for me he wasn't. Having his foot on the circle kept him from bouncing around and regenerating. I blocked the incoming shades with two people, one bladesman and one priest. I used speed potions for the hackers. One, my best, hammered away every time. The second best would hack a shade and if he had a spare move shoot arrows back at Elderan. Eventually Elderan went to zero without ever getting any regenerations. I also cast spells on him every time, preferably with ranged ones that hammered the shades at the same time. Spell energy needed more potions too. Not an easy battle regardless.

Thank all 3 of you very much for the advise. I tried all 3 methods, and the one that worked the best for me was ZorroDragonslayer's method. I used my best fighter to knock him off of the center of the circle, took that position away with my best fighter, put my 2nd best fighter in the doorway, and kept my spell casters at range. That worked very well, and was actually quite easy. Thanks again, all of you.

Best way to do it is to put a summoned shade in the doorway and a melee/tank right next to him to block the other square in the doorway. Shades reaching Elderan allow him to either heal or do extra damage, so you have to keep shades from reaching him. A summoned shade works well to block as they are immune to other shades, so nothing can get past them. Give everyone speed potions, then hit Elderan with ranged magic, healing as needed. If you have an extra melee it works best to put them right next to Elderan.

Also, I'm not sure what he's scripted to do, but if you don't knock him out of position with shield bash, he should stay in the middle of the circle and never teleport, go invulnerable, or heal for the entire battle.

It will take a while, but Elderan doesn't do much damage on his own, so if you control the doorway to make sure no shades reach him the fight shouldn't be a problem. Did it this way on torment.