Starting Avernum Remake for Second Time

Okay, so I thought since, well, I know the first original Avernum (old) pretty well, I could try a Singleton on torment. Well, it appears I get my butt kicked and I barely made it past Fort Duvno. So, as usual I was getting frustrated and felt like throwing my keyboard across the room. So, I took a break, and then decided to play on casual. Well, it was a breeze in the beginning, but I slowly started to get weaker and weaker, before even Casual got to be a pain.. I suppose I'm just not used to this new skill tree, since I was always used to the old skill system that was used before (as in before Avadon). So really, all I can say is a can't do a singleton like I did before. Actually maybe I shouldn't do Singletons at all on Torment since I never had the patience for that anyway, even in the old avernum, lol.

So, I'm scratching the idea of a Singelton, since obviously this game has changed a lot since the old avernum. I've decided to plan my party out this way I may go ahead and play on normal difficulty for the first time, too.I did a bit of studying in Strategy Central, so I already know a bit now, thankfully. Anyway here it is:

Tank/Warrior - A pure meat shield. Will have lots of endurance and health, at a slight sacrifice of his combat skills. He job is to take damage for the party, and make sure the swarms come him while doing melee damage to kill monsters as well. My focus will mainly be surround on raising endurance but I must not forget strength so that he's not missing constantly either. I'm confident I can find the right balance. I may give him priest spells if I have the points to spare, but not sure on that one yet.

Archer/Priest - I kinda want to think of this build like a druid. Is good at healing spells while at the same time is excellent at shooting an arrow. My problem would probably finding the right balance for this one for Dexterity and Intelligence. I may also give this person some tool use as well.

Mage - Pure Mage spells essentially. High attack power, and also focused is on that Arcane Lore and Cave Lore. I want this Mage to be the one to be our main guy for tool use.

Mage - Same as the one above, but less focus on tool use.

What do you think? Is this an adequate build? Also, what is the maximum tool use, arcane lore, and cave lore you will ever need in this game?

Tool use that you need is 15 (14 and Tinker Gloves), but for most of the game 10 will do.

Arcane Lore is being rechecked.

Cave Lore is 12, but train a party of 4 with 2 levels each, then quest reward for 1 and Forager Boots for +1 means only 1 skill point for and the First Expedition ring will give you a boost for the last cache.

2 mages is good.

For the tank/warrior... focus on strength is fine, your tank will have plenty of survivability end game without pumping endurance too hard, about 20 base endurance by end game is more than plenty. Give him 7 priest spells so you can get 7 spellcraft (+3 from trainers/drake), so you can train 10 resistance. 10 resistance in combination with 10 (+3) hardiness and decent gear gives you pretty much 90% resists across the board, which is very nice for a tank to have.

For the priest... there's really no reason to make him an archer/priest. Priest offensive spells are far more effective than archery ever can be in this game. Any turn that your priest isn't healing/buffing, he'll be casting a priest AE damage spell like divine fire (or early in the game call the storm) rather than firing a wimpy arrow. Don't waste the points on dex. So unless you just really want to have the archery for your own enjoyment from a roleplaying standpoint or something, don't bother with it.

2 mages is good.

For the tank/warrior... focus on strength is fine, your tank will have plenty of survivability end game without pumping endurance too hard, about 20 base endurance by end game is more than plenty. Give him 7 priest spells so you can get 7 spellcraft (+3 from trainers/drake), so you can train 10 resistance. 10 resistance in combination with 10 (+3) hardiness and decent gear gives you pretty much 90% resists across the board, which is very nice for a tank to have.

For the priest... there's really no reason to make him an archer/priest. Priest offensive spells are far more effective than archery ever can be in this game. Any turn that your priest isn't healing/buffing, he'll be casting a priest AE damage spell like divine fire (or early in the game call the storm) rather than firing a wimpy arrow. Don't waste the points on dex. So unless you just really want to have the archery for your own enjoyment from a roleplaying standpoint or something, don't bother with it.

Thanks for the advice. Actually, I totally forgot about the priest offensive spells, lol. So, change of plans I think. Instead of Dexterity and Bows, I'll make him the main tool use/arcane lore PC. That way that other mage can be on equal footing as the other mage. Thanks!

If you're playing on casual, some dexterity on a priest may not be a bad thing, because it lets you use move mountains in combat, and plink arrows at weak enemies. It's decidedly suboptimal, but move mountains is a fun spell.

Giving one or both mages a few points in priest spells is usually a good idea, too, for emergency healing and for smite as secondary offensive spell for fire-resistant enemies like hellhounds early in the game.

Dikiyoba.