Rockridge Deep Storage

Ceiling Durkheim

So, I was looking over the Synergizer item list after beating the game recently, and I found myself troubled by one thing: how in blazes does one access the deep storage in Rockridge Keep? Ostensibly there's a switch that opens it up, but I never could find it, even after my confrontations with two separate giant demon spiders.

I'm aware of that. That's where I fought the spiders. What I'm referring to more specifically is "-- NW - hidden switch - Rockridge Deep Storage -- hidden switch - hidden switch - bypass to Deep Storage room -- door ---- east metal chest - 192c, emerald, fancy toolbelt (10% armor, +2 to build boltflinger, snare turret, and blessing pylon, +1 to freezing turret ---- west metal chest - 234c, ruby, wand of corruption, pulsing runestone"

You know that bit of wooden wall northwest of the spider lair? The button is very well hidden on the stone wall near that, just north of the stalagmite.

Ah! Just what I was looking for. Thank you very much. Also: wow. Most of the hidden switches in this game only dubiously qualify as "hidden" at all given the larger image, but that one blends in uncannily well.

• 1 month later...

As far as the mines go, you can damage them remotely by using area of effect attacks.

Since the turrets have a shorter range than regular missile attacks do, all you have to do is beat their regen -- depending on your build, you can do that earlier than level 8, if all 3 party members focus on one turret.

And when you do, check the walls before wasting your energy on the turrets.

There's another hidden switch behind the searing mines. You should be able to get to it without activating the mines if you're careful.

I saw that switch too; and by sacrificing a party member was able to trip it only to find equally overpowering defenses in the second room too.

You can also run past the turrets. Begin in walkabout mode, JUST far enough away that the turrets won't trigger combat to begin. Then click past them. If it works right, some or all of your characters will make it past the turret's zone of control before combat begins. Have those characters run. The others will die; that's okay, as they'll just regenerate once you're past the turrets.

I made it past all three sets in the long hallway using this strategy. One PC got stuck on the first turret; both PCs got stuck on the last one in combat mode, but one PC survived the extra turns needed to get away while the other PCs were being targeted.

Other classes can pull off the same trick with a teleport scarab. Teleportation is surprisingly useful: it's also possible to leap over those areas of uneven ground in the final Corruption quest, which allows you to skip most of the zone if you're so inclined and to reach some treasure that's otherwise practically inaccessible.