A:EftP - Thantria

Well, if you kill her, you get some loot, but you can't do any more quests from her. You'd probably find her last quest especially...troubling. Not being able to do the rest of her quests is the only real penalty for fighting her (although waiting until later when you can tell her you killed her boss is sort of fun). No one else is going to reward you for taking her out.

Out of curiosity, for those who played E1/A1, was Thantria always there, or was she an addition to A:EftP?

Doing the quests won't change the endings. Most of them give very nice rewards since the Empire has lots of money. Two of them are for spellbooks that are wanted by Avernum and Kyass too with Kyass giving cheaper training for doing them and Avernum improves your reputation.

You can join the Scimitar and help Thrantria with her last quest being a problem.

Killing Thantria gives a nice item, but the fight is a bit hard until near the end. There isn't a penalty except no more quests/rewards. Telling her that you did the last quest, but are going to tell her or that Hawthorne is dead will provoke a fight. Also going into her bedroom where there isn't much loot.

Sniped by Triumph.

Thrantria is all new.

1. The scimatar says she has been marked for death but they are WAITING on it for the right time. So if you go and murder her on your own earlier you are jumping the gun as it could disrupt their plans.

2. You should aid kyass regardless. After you finish his quest lines you can take a hit on him from someone in the castle. And this way you are paid by both kyass AND thantria for doing the same thing (before taking him out of course... personally I let him live). Kyass does try to bully the scimatar's town though, probably why thantria wanted to help them. But so far they ignore him

3. IIRC she just dropped 1 meh shawl valued at 4000 gold (so, sold for much less of course).

4. Her outright harmful to scimatar quests are the last 3 quests. To give her (and remove from avernum) 2 magical tomes (2 separate quests), and then to betray the scimatar's route to the surface. You can give the tomes to either the people of avenrum (rita in patricks tower) or kyass freehold

Aiding the Freehold of Kyass enough can get you the best available training prices on a number of skills and spells. If you attack them, you miss out on that training. To get the very best prices, you need to do Kyass' first five quests (up to and including the Giant quest), and you need to give Pyrog's tome to Evyss (the slith mage in the Freehold). Doing all of these will bring prices down to "pretty average", and make the very highest level mage and priest spells available from Evyss. The money you can potentially save on training makes that probably the best Pyrog reward, IMHO. By the way, I checked in my last playthrough, and I verified that the Drath quest does not change training prices or availability in the Freehold.

As far as the Scimitar "waiting for the right time" to take out Thantria, I think that if they knew she was attempting to seal off the exit they would decide that now was the right time. So, when she gave me that quest, I provoked her (by entering her room), and then took her out.

Trying to make money from the regenerative herb patches can take a loooong time. Ditto for random encounters.

And yes, you can "farm" the final gauntlet for loot/money by doing it over and over, but if you're already able to do the final gauntlet you are basically able to win the game (it may be slightly easier than the other two final quests, but not by much if at all). You need money for training/spells before you get there, when you're still trying to build up a party that can take on the three winning quests.