How do partners work in G3?

You can keep both till the end of third island if you play your cards right though you might have to forego some experience,, after that at least one will abandon you on the basis of your views, being a shaper doesn't affect them, only the faction you choose.

So it's possible for both to abandon me if I go one way and then the other? Damn.

If you alienate one, that one is gone for good. MSlayer is correct: a choice you make on the third island WILL alienate one of them (that choice does NOT lock into a faction yet, by the way). It's possible to alienate one of them even earlier, on the second island.

Darn, for a second I was hoping to have Greta on the shaper path, Alwan is just a zealous tool.

Edited by RaustBlackDragon
G rating

Hopefully, If/When Jeff remakes the Geneforge series, there will be some sort of rudimentary loyalty mechanic like in Avadon, where you can influence Greta/Alwan to stay with you even if you decide to join a factio nthey are opposed with. I would love to see what Rebel Alwan or Shaper Greta would be up to in the epilogue. I really wish I could could argue some reason into Greta soemtimes, and persuading Alwan to forsake the Shapers for the rebels would be a fascinating (and no doubt difficult) task that I would love to try.The ability to influence the beliefs of my followers along with a few other minor adjustments and updates to the game would easily push Geneforge 3 to the top of my list of favorite geneforge games.

It never occurred to me until now, but G3 really is a forerunner of Avadon in the sense that it was the first (and until Avadon, the only) time that Jeff tried to implement NPCs *with personalities* who would join the party for the duration of the game (in contrast to party-joining NPCs of Jeff's other games, who all either had no personality and never spoke OR joined only briefly). Fascinating.

it's a forerunner to Avadon in several ways. Another one I noticed was the similarities between the Shaper dungeon in the endgame (that you only get to visit if you are a rebel) and redbeard's dungeon. The wretches kinda reminded me of an cross between goblins and serviles, IMO. But I may be reading too much into that one.

I suppose I might have read a bit too much into that comparison. I do agree though, I was a bit disappointed finding out that Ogres and Giants had the same graphic, just to different scales, and the general lack of exotic mosnters from the corruption. I perhaps I am just spoiled by all the exotic creations in the geneforge games.

On a subject more related to the topic, I wonder if jeff will add more companions/expand existing companions when he returns to geneforge? He seems to be leaning mroe towards traditional rpg party interactions with Avadon, it would be nice to see soem of the temporary characters be expanded on, or even becoem permanent party members when he revisits the series. Of course, the feature I would most like to see would be having some sort of loyalty mechanic with the interactiosn with Greta and Alwan, along with the ability to give them equipment, and soem more options with the endings etc. Geneforge 3 came within a hair's width of being my favorite game in the series, and I would like to see it become number one :)

• 2 weeks later...

Alwan in G3 is annoyingly useless. It's quite hard to keep him alive. Well, he never really dies, but just runs back to some reasonably recent safe point. Still, it means he's more trouble than he's worth, and it makes him seem like a coward. Greta is much more effective, because her ranged attack tends to keep her out of harm's way.

Alwan doesn't cost any essence to keep around, and can be augmented for free on each level up. He might not be as useful as Greta, but he is far from useless later in the game, esp if you are playing pro-shaper and you get to the point where Greta leaves. Hopefully they will become a bit more balanced if/when Jeff remakes G3, but Alwan is useful, in his own way.