Avadon is the last SW game I've played... how does A:EftP compare?

Avernum: Escape from the Pit is a remake of an older SW game: Avernum 1 (which is a remake of SW's first game, Exile 1). It's a full-length game, yes. As for how it compares to Avadon, well, that's a harder question...

It's far less linear, and less plot-driven. It's more an open world, with lots of quests to discover and complete, though there is something of a path which is recommended you take (and it's made clear in-game).

Of course, SW offers huge free demos, so feel free to try it out!

Avernum: Escape from the Pit is a remake of Avernum 1, so it's a full-length Avernum game and significantly larger than Avadon: maybe a little more than twice as big overall.

(Yes, Avernum 1 itself is a remake of Exile 1. Yes, this makes A:EftP a remake of a remake. Apparently there's still a market for a remake with revamped gameplay and an updated engine that runs well on modern computers.)

They're still a sizeable portion of game (I guess Avadon is an exception, but it;s a much smaller game...)

Dunno, sort of depends on high you define sizeable, A6 was decent but G5, Avadon and A:eftp felt rather small to me, especially when I remember that it took me 2 whole months to go through A3 demo.

Avadon is the smallest and it was originally one zone smaller. Avernum: Escape from the Pit is much smaller than Avernum 1 and Exile 1. Geneforge 5 seems smaller since there is less to do and freedom to do it.

Jeff spoiled us with the Exile and first Avernum trilogy demos.

I find that while the older games offer more freedom with stat choices, the new system of Avadon and Avernum: EFTP makes playing the original gene forge 1-5 and all other games pointless. The new game system is much more well done and offers more freedom in the long run. Also, you are given much more leniency in finding out what works in game. I find that if you are a new player, once you play Avadon or Avernum EFTP, you will enjoy the leveling system much much more.

Yes. Ironically the classless system often leaves you locked into a class from your first character build. You can be bold and add priest spells to your fighters or have your casters pick up the other type of spell on the side, or have your priest dabble in hitting enemies with swords, but your characters tend to play as whatever they played as at level 1.

—Alorael, who thinks there's a serious lesson in direct comparisons. E1's demo was quite precisely half the game: a line drawn down the middle of the map could not be crossed until you registered. A1 shifted the line east and added more barriers to the south, leaving you really just the northeast. I don't actually know A:EFtP's demo size but it's certainly no larger.

What? Is this true? I assumed the remake-remake was 1:1 in that regard...the original ones have even bigger worlds? if thats the case, could anyone explain me how? Thanks!

He meant only the demo - you were correct in thinking that A:EftP does indeed fully recreate the original (and actually it adds a little bit of content here and there). But the demo of A:EftP is smaller than the demo in the original.

My point is that the demo in A:EftP is smaller than the demo of A1 which is smaller than the demo of E1. Jeff has been cutting back on free area size.

—Alorael, who doesn't fault him for it. E1's demo was so large many players would probably get bored and stop before having to register.