Riders on the Storm

Actaeon

I've been working on several concepts for an online tabletop RPG, and have decided to combine them together into a single campaign. I already have two players, but could use a couple more.

I'm working on a system that pulls from D&D and AIMhack and works to do away with classes and levels and make things a bit more flexible and dynamic. I'd also, eventually, like to play with the idea of doing mini-adventures with different DMs, but with a shared setting and the same characters. Finally, I quite like the idea of an RPG set in our own world, but with a twist: the characters are outsiders, and we are not the only fantasy-style entities leaking through. I quite like the idea of a classic, D&D style band of heros wandering the country in an old VW bus, stamping out Minotaurs in Memphis and Dinosaurs in Denver. The premise is below. If it appeals, send me a PM and we'll start to work on a character.

The Inn Between the Worlds is one of the greatest works of the Phoenicians, an ancient and powerful race that has made it its mission to maintain peace and balance within the multiverse. Within its walls, peoples of different worlds to mingle, exchange knowledge, ideas, and a few choice goods. It can usually be found only by those who know where to look, but it occasionally appears to those in need of safe haven, and every once in a while, it's been known to chose itself champions to aid in the struggle for multidimensional prosperity.

Whether it was fate or chance that placed that poster in your path is hard to say. Advertisements of that sort litter the streets of almost all inhabitated worlds, but this one stood out somehow. And so here you are, at the appointed time, standing among the carved pillars of the Inn Between the Worlds, to lend a hand.

In a far away land, technologically advanced but magically stunted, some overzealous scientist has made a terrible mistake. He has found a way to send out a beacon to the universes which paralleled his own. Suddenly, the shadowy walls between worlds were bathed in light, and all sorts of people and creatures saw... holes. An now, terrible things are pouring through. And the few people who are willing to accept what is happening have no idea how to stop it.

That's where you come in. The Phoenicians themselves cannot intercede, for the citizens of this besieged world are fighting back against anything strange or powerful that comes through. Instead, they're assigning a few small bands of less powerful, human appearing adventurers to triangulate the signal and, if possible, shut it down. They'll pay enough to buy a good horse in the currency of your choice upfront, and a good deal more to the first party to succeed. And, if you happen to run into some nightmarish creatures from beyond the gates of night on your way there, you might do the locals a favor and rid them of it.

Ideally, I'd run them on Sunday or Monday, but I could also do any evening from 7-10 mountain time. I tend to be a low-key DM, so I budget about 3 hours of time. That's about my max for consecutive time in front of a computer, unlike Sylae, who I couldn't keep up with even as a PC. Send me a character if you decide to participate. Once I have a VW bus full of characters (or even just three finalized), I'll work on setting up a time.

Oh, and congratulations on 6500, Nikki. Not that half thousands really make a dent at this point.

Pardon my double post, but I neglected to mention that, even if you're not interested in participating, I'd love feedback on the new system I'm working on. I have DMed a lot of games, but never endeavored to invent something like this from scratch before. I think some of the features are promising, but am quite sure there are reasons it's not usually done this way. So please, take a look.

In other news, BJ Earles is making great strides in character creation, so it looks like we're a go. There's still time to participate, but I'm going to start scheduling with the members already participating.

Hey everyone. First session was supposed to start a half-hour ago, but one of the players hasn't shown yet. Anyone who's interested can drop in the Roleplay section at calref.net/chat

Even if we can't the session off the ground tonight, we might be able to get another night set up.

... I quite like the idea of a classic, D&D style band of heros wandering the country in an old VW bus, stamping out Minotaurs in Memphis and Dinosaurs in Denver.

As in bona fide, sword-swinging fantasy hero types?

I don't think I've ever played a tabletop RPG in my life, but I really love the idea of a high-fantasy-style Adventurer Party trying to "make it" in modern America. (Even if it's modern America with monsters.)

Iffy ended up filling in, and if I had my way he'd make a character of his own and join permanently. Same for you, Miramoor. I'm always willing to suspend disbelief and insert characters in for the second session. After that it starts to interrupt the flow. At the moment, we have a couple of low-brow Earthlings for hire, plus a genetically engineered chap and a druid as the token healer. We could use some more cliché. A bard, or a knight, or a pirate. I considered playing a werewolf, myself.

I'm tentatively scheduling the next session for 4pm MDT today, in the Calamity Refuge roleplay channel. If you'd like to build a character, you can meet me on there a little earlier, or just sit in and watch.

Edit: I intended to see "Cloud Atlas" at noon, but the showing was cancelled. It is possible that I will attempt to attend the 3:00, in which case RotS will have to wait until 6ish, provided the members are available.

Edited by Actaeon

• 2 months later...

I am inclined to open the upcoming finale to broad community participation without the need for a long commitment. We are gearing up for a showdown between several fantasy factions in a modern US city. It would be cool to bring some NPCs to life with guest players. How do the current PCs feel about that, and is anyone interested in joining?

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to hold the next (final?) installment of Riders on the Storm at 17:00 (5pm) Mountain Standard Time, Saturday, February 16, on Calamity Refuge's role-play channel. All are free to join- come with a rough idea of why you want to do, but don't worry too much about mechanics.