Book Club Poll

Actaeon

As per Slarty's suggestion, each book has its own poll. The one with the best average will be selected for an online book club. Feel free to talk up your favorite selection, although I suspect most Spiderwebbers are too hard headed for it to make much of a difference. If you will not be participating regardless of selection, kindly give this poll a pass and go argue about pie.

The poll will run through July 4 unless things taper off considerably or a clear winner appears (and maybe not then). I will assign to points for each "absolutely participate", one for each "probably", subtract one for each "probably not", and subtract two for each "absolutely not". The highest total will be the nominee (unless there's a tie, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it).

I encourage you to do your homework, look up reviews... make sure you're happy with your decision. The selections, according to my understanding, are:

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Into the Beautiful North

Stranger in a Strange Land

Nightfall

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Cloud Atlas

Cat's Cradle

1Q84

(For the record, my suggestion was to have 3 options for each book. Having 5 options is just as good (or maybe better) in theory. The problem is that in practice, it leaves too much room for people to (consciously or unconsciously) "hate draft" -- to leave more negative answers on all but one or two preferred surveys. But I'm just nitpicking and this is hopefully lovely)

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: Homage
Fallout: Equestria _did_ get seconded, just sayin'

that being said, i did buy cloud atlas the other day and haven't read it yet, if that was chosen yeah and stuff.

False. Fallout:Equestria was not seconded in the poll thread, I just checked.
Two people suggested it. Just didn't use the words "I second".

but everyone would say "absolutely not" so...

Here's the second "suggestion":

Originally Posted By: δ³Σx²
I would also suggest Fallout: Equestria.

Pony-related stigma aside, it is one of the more well written things I have read, and would easily earn a place in my library among LoTR, the Millennium trilogy, and the Dune universe books.

Unfortunately, it's 2000+ pages, and I doubt people are open-minded enough to give it a try.

So I'll trust in the taste of my fellow spiderwebbers and read whatever is decided upon.

It basically says, "I WOULD suggest it, but I won't because here's this problem." So I think Actaeon interpreted correctly in not counting that as a second.

Sorry, Sylae. I didn't catch that. In any case, it might be hard for those of us who don't really dig reading on a screen to hunt up a bound copy. Does Calamity Refuge have a thread for it?

Slarty, I considered precisely that, but I always feel constrained with less than five options. I take full responsibility for any failures with the system, while diverting full credit for success to you. You have been proven right on the "can't please everybody front, too. We have a -2 for every novel.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
Sorry, Sylae. I didn't catch that. In any case, it might be hard for those of us who don't really dig reading on a screen to hunt up a bound copy. Does Calamity Refuge have a thread for it?

It's actually being printed this summer (might already have been, haven't followed it), and until then, yay epub. And no, there is no CalRef thread on it, probably because only two people on CalRef care.

If I can make a third Cassandric prediction: more people will vote in the polls than expressed interest in the book club, and then we won't know what to do because the polls are likely contaminated with votes from people who will never participate in anything.

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong on this one!

According the the point system I proposed: Cloud Atlas: 7, Nightfall: 3. If you break it down to just three options, Cloud Atlas has +6 and -2 (plus quite a few "maybe"), Nightfall has +7 and -4. I don't see that as necessitating a run off, but I'll leave it up to the participants. Also, we'll give the silent morning crowd a chance to lend their voices.

Alternatively, if we can get ten people to confirm for "Cloud Atlas", we'll just move ahead with it tomorrow. (I'm #1)

As of 10:30 on the morning of July 4, the results are as follows (5 point calculation, 3 point calculation):

Something Wicked This Way Comes: -4, -2

Nightfall: 4, 4

Stranger in a Strange Land: -4, -5

Into the Beautiful North: -8, -7

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy: -4, -2

Cloud Atlas: 8, 6

Cat's Cradle: 2, 0

1Q84: -3, 0

I consider this a satisfactory margin of victory. I, however, would be happy to read and discuss any of these titles in the future. In the mean time, you can find the thread for Cloud Atlas here.