Anyone else's spidweb running slow tonight?

Trenton.

I didn't notice any difference, it's just as slow as usual (My connection's so slow, no website ever loads up unless I use Chrome). 122.gif

Its probably your connection, unless your computer is so slow that your browser is finding its allocated resources inadequate to even render the transferred webpages.

I'm not sure about Wal-mart, we don't have them in Australia. Most places now that sell electrical stuff like TV's, computers and stuff should have them. The good thing about computers and most of the stuff to go with them are getting cheaper. Apart from that I wouldn't know abut how cheap it would be over there in the U.S.

An external hard drive is really only helpful if your computer is absolutely full. When it is, you can get slowdowns. If you've got a few gigabytes free, you don't need an external hard drive, although I still think they're handy for storing extra stuff and transferring.

—Alorael, who doesn't think there's much that will help a decade old computer. It's just old and tired. It's getting to be about time to put it out to pasture.

Originally Posted By: Benching many verbs
An external hard drive is really only helpful if your computer is absolutely full. When it is, you can get slowdowns. If you've got a few gigabytes free, you don't need an external hard drive, although I still think they're handy for storing extra stuff and transferring.
I use my external hard drive mainly for archival purposes, although in my case, "external hard drive" means "an internal hard drive I put in an enclosure."

—Alorael, who doesn't think there's much that will help a decade old computer. It's just old and tired. It's getting to be about time to put it out to pasture.
Yeah, a computer that old is pretty much considered ancient by current standards, and slowdowns (and breakdowns) are all but expected. I had to retire my dad's old Windows XP computer earlier this year, because the hardware kept going wacky.

I've noticed, even on newer computers, that having half to two thirds of your hard drive full can make it really laggy. Older computers more so.

twiponder.png So we are doing that thing where we use non-site emoticons?

happyluna.png The fun shall be doubled!

punchdrunk.png SW will not tolerate this. They will call it a travesty.

rdsitting.png No they won't! Everyone loves ponicons!

raritynews.png SW doesn't like ponies OR ponicons.

pinkiefear.png SW doesn't like ponies?

loveme.png THIS MAKES ME ANGRY

rdsad.png But sad also

The Low Resources has been happening to me on and off for the last few months. I just go do something else when it happens.

As for external hard drives. I just use one as a back up. Backup the computer once a month or after big change/download. I find that I don't add or change anything often enough to need to backup more then that.

Academician_Prokhor_Zakharov.jpgInteresting. A perusal of the Datalinks indicate that animated shows on Earth were watched outside of their target demographic, and images from them were used as communication.

Sister_Miriam_Godwinson..jpgBah! Adults watching children's cartoons! Abhorrent!

Commissioner_Pravin_Lal.jpgSurely these adults were allowed to choose what leisure activities they desired.

Colonel_Coraz%C3%B3n_Santiago.jpgBut why pollute your communications with images made by soft money-grabbing capitalists?

Nwabudike_Morgan.jpgYou say that like it's a bad thing.

Chairman_Sheng-Ji_Yang.jpgIt is the memescape, the collective understanding. As more and more of the people partake in the show, its images can be used as shorthand. Of course, if the show is not widely watched within the community, all that is accomplished is wasting the time of the collective.

Lady_Deirdre_Skye.jpg IMMA RUNNIN NAKED THROUGH THE TREES!! TRA-LA-LA-LA-LA!!

Originally Posted By: Homage
is it strange that I always play as Santiago, team up with the university, and destroy the biblethumper...every time I play?

Well, it's an uncommon alliance, though that's mostly due to Santiago's AI and therefore not an issue when you're playing as her. She normally really hates the University, and is more likely to fight on Miriam's side in the inevitable Believer/University war.

Originally Posted By: Aʀᴀɴ
is it strange that I always play as Santiago, team up with the university, and destroy the biblethumper...every time I play?

Well, it's an uncommon alliance, though that's mostly due to Santiago's AI and therefore not an issue when you're playing as her. She normally really hates the University, and is more likely to fight on Miriam's side in the inevitable Believer/University war.

I did not know this. Shows how often I mix it up.

In completely unrelated news, does anyone here play Warzone 2100? If not, you should. Freeeeeeeeeee...

As my laptop limps along on one working fan, I'm looking into getting a new Mac. But if I do, I'll no longer have any way to run Alpha Centauri. Yes, I appreciate how amazingly well an unpaid Carbon version has worked for over a decade after the game came out, but I'll miss it.

—Alorael, who now either needs to get SheepShaver working, get another Windows installation and mess with the settings to get it installed and running, or get Windows, give up on Alien Crossfire, and get it from Good Old Games.

Originally Posted By: Aʀᴀɴ

Yeah, Miriam will run Power if she ever gets the technology, and I often see Santiago running Fundamentalist. They're instant buddies! I think it makes more sense for Santiago to run a police state (+3 Police!) but then again I'm not the AI. (The AI plays the Spartans okay. It's just flat out terrible playing the Morganites)

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
It's just flat out terrible playing the Morganites
Agreed. I'm told that the Morganites, played correctly, are one of the more powerful factions, though I never got the hang of playing them. Maybe next time. But I have never seen a single game where they were doing passably. Either I found and crushed them, or a computer faction crushed them first.

The Morganites are my favorite faction and I can achieve victory with them sooner than any other faction (although Lal comes close with his rapid population growth). The faction I have a hard time with is the Hive.

I'm a bit surprised that the designers didn't come up with a better AI for Morgan, because it fails at everything Morgan should be doing.

Click to reveal.. (Why the AI sucks at Morgan)

- The AI rarely uses supply crawlers, bun when they do, they usually don't use them for energy. Additionally, they never ever armor them or give them proper defense against mindworms. Aaaand, when it does convoy energy it doesn't build economic facilities in the base, effectively making it useless.

- The AI sucks at terraforming and rarely builds boreholes.

- The AI generally only rushes units but not base facilities or secret projects.

- The AI doesn't build enough base facilities in the first place, and doesn't properly take advantage of tree farms.

- The AI generally won't upgrade to clean reactor units.

- The AI doesn't expand quickly enough and sits there with five or six bases (if that).

- The AI seems to think that probe teams are invisible the entire game and uselessly throws them in front of enemy units.

- The AI needlessly moves its military units outside its borders causing drone riots.

- Whenever AI Morgon is attacked he often builds up a ton of units that he can't support, so he switches to Police State and Power and effectively kills himself.

My fastest victory (still taking at least a century) usually comes with the university, but that's because I almost always play the long game and go for Transcendence.

But I don't actually have much tactical skill, and still leave a lot of things (terraforming, base resources, unit design aside from specialty units like air-droppable probes & colony pods) to the suboptimal AI.