A:EftP - Where do I go from Formello?

Hey guys, I got this game a few days ago and have really been enjoying it despite not usually being a fan of CRPG's. I especially like how non-linear the game is but it seems that maybe it's a little too non-linear now.

I just recovered the necklace for the mayor of Formello and now the "main quest" is directing me towards the Castle. However, my party is only level 7 which I think may be a little too low for the southern regions so now I am unsure whether I should head towards the castle and do all of the quests in Mertis and the Tower of Magi or stay in the Eastern Galleys and maybe do some quests in Cotra.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Hit up Cotra for some quests and Fort Dranlon for some cheap spell levels. You can also get a boat at Cotra and explore the river a bit, but avoid the sliths for now. If you haven't explored up north beyond Formello, do that too. Then head down to Mertis and the Tower of Magi. From there you can head to the Great Cave to explore or head back to Fort Dranlon to deal with the sliths.

Dikiyoba.

If you have done all possible quests at Formello-Draco area (that Ogre/Giant-group and Aranea Cave quests are meant for later) then goto Tower of Magi and buy few spells (Icy Spray is must) and then either head to Great Cave or use boat you bought from Cotra and go kill Sliths northwest, southwest and south from Dranlon and also you can clear Bat Cave from bats etc (not BC assassin yet although nor his pets) and go kill Nephils/Nephars on their castle (although for semi-boss battles you need few more levels). When you goto ToM and Mertis then avoid undead- and giant-groups since those are deadly at that point of game.

I have a similar problem with avernum. Im lvl 10 with my party and i have gotten the necklace, and have explored and done some quests in formello.

My problem is not that i dont know where to go, but more that i dont know when the game's story will emerge. Up from the beginning with lagran, i was siked with the game but now i am bored as there really isnt a basic story and i am just running around. Do i have to find solberg to get the main quest? I really just want there to be a point in the game so i can actually have a reason for doing something. Up till now its just been random encounters, random quests.

I dunno. I hit Duvno, Silvar, and Cotra, then headed north to Formello and Draco. before heading south, and I didn't have any problems with being too low a level. I also did the GIFTS quest before heading down to the ToM.

I play on normal, which may be a factor, but if you thoroughly go through the Eastern Gallery, you should pick up enough levels to head south.