A:EftP - WHAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Can you maybe identify some specific things that you didn't like about it? The game engine certainly owes more than a little to Avadon, but there's a lot in there that's still classic Avernum, like the outdoors and, well, the entire plot and world of the game.

The graphics owe as much to the second trilogy as Avadon. The skill system is a hybrid; the tree is Avadon, but the fact that all the abilities are passive and identical to Avernum skills leans the other way. There's nothing like Avadon's ability tree at all; the closest things are spells and battle disciplines, both of which were solidly established in the Avernum games before Avadon came along. The four-member, all custom party isn't Avadon at all.

—Alorael, who can understand not liking A:EftP. He can't really understand not liking it for being Avadon-like. It isn't, especially, and its flaws really can be criticized on their own merits or lack thereof.

I played A1-6 (and E1-3 long ago), then AEFTP, and am just now starting Avadon (started yesterday!). AEFTP felt a little different from the previous Avernum games, but no more so than I expected. The difference felt similar in magnitude to the difference between the first and second trilogies. Avadon, on the other hand, feels like a completely different game.

The skill tree allows you to have the highest tier skills before the end of the game.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Jerakeen
I'm guessing that MMXPERT is only familiar with Avernum through the second trilogy.

There's a certain irony to that, considering how people at the time complained that the second trilogy too closely resembled Geneforge.

Clawbugs were used for chitrachs. frown

To be fair, all of the Spiderweb games resemble each other (at least visually) to some extent (with the exception of Exile 1, which resembles Exile 1). So it's not surprising that AEFTP resembles Avadon to an extent.

Anyway, I'm just posting to voice my displeasure at the lack of milk byproducts in this thread.