A-EftP - where to go?

So I cleared the bandit/goblin/Nepharim fortresses, plus the undead place. So basically, Formello/Silvar/Fort Dunvo. I'm around level 11/12. Cotra seems the next step, but the Slith are way too hard for me at this point.

Is there a level appropriate next step? The non-linear nature is cool, but makes it hard when you can't handle 3/4ths of the world and it's not clear where the zone you can handle is.

If you haven't done Cotra just do that. There are hardly any slith on the main landmass where you start out. Most are across the river, so Cotra will be quite doable. I think it has a few easy "fetch" type quests you could level up with.

It's a good thing to go out of your area and visit towns, even if the enemies in that area are out of your league. Enemies can be easily avoided on the overhead map, and most of the time each town will have a few quests that you can do that require no fighting. So if you just start at Cotra, then Fort Dranlon and then north to Draco, then south to the city directly under cotra (something like Marieat?--I'm terrible with remembering fictional names), then further south to the tower, then west to the castle and its surrounding towns and do all the fetch and delivery quests you should be level 13/14 by no time.

Also, Slith become manageable very fast. In my experience they should be tough but doable by level 12. The Slith island West of Cotra for the "Steal plans" quest is actually pretty easy as long as you wait to do the upstairs boss until you are level 13 or 14. There are packs of Slith warriors in there, but slith warriors only hit once per turn so they are quite easy to take out if you lure them off from the group one at a time.

If you have a mage with the "icy rain" spell this is incredibly easy as you can have you party stand far away and she can cast so that she just hit one or two Sliths standing in a group. 9 times out of ten just that one or two will leave the group and come looking for you. Then you can gang up on them. Rinse and repeat. I've done quite a few areas out of my level this way.

Plus, you could also probably do the first 3/4th of the Spiral Pit at your level (just not the boss), although you might also want to wait. Even though you can probably handle the enemies, that level is a pain for reeasons I won't spoil.