A-EftP - New to Spiderweb Games

Over the years I've picked up demos of Exile and Avernum, but never got around to buying/playing the game in full. I've done so with the newest edition. Now I have a few questions. One I've had answered, but encountered a story spoiler which I want to avoid.

What is the max arcane lore I need to learn all the level 3 spells? (12 I've read?)

What is the max cave lore I would get use out of?

What is the max tool use I would get use out of?

EDIT to add: If I use the spell book before training levels 1 and 2, can I still get to level 3 through training?

Once I'm done with Avernum: Escape from the Pit, where should I go from there? Are the older versions of the games up-to-snuff for someone who doesn't care about graphics etc. (obvious since I'm playing this heh), or should I wait and play another spiderweb in the mean time? I suppose that question leads one to, whats the expected wait time for the rest of the remakes?

Finally, does using the character editor change anything about the game? I want to use it to respec my characters once I know the answers to the above. I'm just starting to think using 1 point every level on each character for cave lore/tool use/arcane lore (1/1/2) might be too crippling playing on hard.

I understand much of this could be found elsewhere, but I want to avoid more spoilers. Thanks in advance and great job Spiderweb!

The max cave lore is I think 13, but that doesn't give you all that much in the way of benefits. A lot of people suggest skipping cave lore, while others recommend going for a couple points on each character but not exceeding 10 total.

Max tool use is 14, but that's only to get some nice consumable items in the final dungeon. 12 is all you really want, and you can get 1 point from equipment.

It mostly doesn't matter which order you train spells in. It's notable that there is a spellbook midway through the game that will give you 2 free levels of the first half or so of the mage/priest spells if you have 8 arcane lore, but won't raise any spell to level 3 unless you've found the book specific to that spell. The latter condition is the only requirement for getting level 3 of a spell if you have access to a trainer or the aforementioned tome.

As for subsequent games: it's less a question of graphics and more one of user interface. The old games feel pretty clunky and user-unfriendly to many people. The games that use roughly the current system of graphics and inventory are Geneforge 4-5, Avernum 5-6, and Avadon. If you don't mind a more primitive interface, the suggestion is generally to go with the earliest game that will work on your computer. They all have pretty good stories.

As for the remake schedule: they're alternating with the Avadon sequels, so you can expect another 1.5-2 years for Avernum: Crystal Souls, and another couple years after that for Avernum: Ruined World.

Really, everything you're asking about playing A:EftP can be found via the links here: http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=252841#Post252841

Don't forget that it's possible to buy 2 levels (for each character) of a lot of skills from trainers in the game, and the Lores and Tool Use are shared among the party.

Originally Posted By: Matrik
What is the max arcane lore I need to learn all the level 3 spells? (12 I've read?)

Correct, but you can get the equivalent of a free point from a certain location, and each rank of Sage Lore counts as 3 points.

Quote:
What is the max cave lore I would get use out of?

12, although it's not really worth the skill point investment overall.

Quote:
What is the max tool use I would get use out of?

Quote:
EDIT to add: If I use the spell book before training levels 1 and 2, can I still get to level 3 through training?

Yes.

Quote:
Once I'm done with Avernum: Escape from the Pit, where should I go from there? Are the older versions of the games up-to-snuff for someone who doesn't care about graphics etc. (obvious since I'm playing this heh), or should I wait and play another spiderweb in the mean time? I suppose that question leads one to, whats the expected wait time for the rest of the remakes?

Well, it's up to you. Try the demos. I'd recommend starting with Avadon, Avernum 5 or Geneforge 4 and seeing how you like those.

You can probably expect a remake once a year or so.

Quote:
Finally, does using the character editor change anything about the game? I want to use it to respec my characters once I know the answers to the above. I'm just starting to think using 1 point every level on each character for cave lore/tool use/arcane lore (1/1/2) might be too crippling playing on hard.

It doesn't change anything except the stats that you specifically choose to change.