Wretch Warrens questions

ComServant

Hey, I'm new to the forum. I'm playing through Avadon: The Black Fortress for the first time (actually, this is the first of any Vogellian game I'm playing), and I just genocidally cleared out the Wretch Warrens.

I can't figure out how to get into these two areas. I've combed the place thoroughly, but can't find a way in.

First area:scrn1b.png

Second area:scrn2l.png

I also can't find a way past this gate...

Third area:scrn3f.png

...though I don't know if you're supposed to or if it's just showing how the Ogre's master escaped.

This is my first time through, so please no spoilers in response. =)

1) I can't remember if the north gate opens with a wheel near it, but there isn't anything there.

2) There should be a hidden switch near where the cursor arrow points in the picture, Use a lamp to help see it. The ones in the brick type walls are even harder to see.

3) You aren't suppose to get past the portcullis. It's the escape route of the other voice you heard as you got near this area.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It helps with the frustration of trying to get into areas that aren't suppose to be accessible. In some games it's done deliberately to drive us crazy.

Try downloading some of the other game demos since this is the smallest demo for all the games. It'll help you decide if you want to play more of them.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Originally Posted By: Randomizer

Try downloading some of the other game demos since this is the smallest demo for all the games.

I'm already playing the full version of Avadon (the demo ends right before the Wretch Warrens). I downloaded and beat the demo a month or two back, and am now playing the full version from the beginning.

After beating Avadon, what would your recommendation be? Your personal favorite?

I've heard good things about the Geneforge series.

Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
If you look really closely at the middle shot, you can just see the hidden switch—it's on the wall right below Shima's face.

Argh! I searched for multiple forevers looking for a switch, moving my mouse back and forth, and walking in and out of rooms to douse walls in shadows and back, hoping I can notice objects pop into visibility when the shadows are removed.

I see it in the screenshot now, thanks for pointing it out. I'll get it later tonight when I boot the game up for another playing session.

Originally Posted By: Yuna Corne
In that first one if you position one party member by the gate and another in the shadowy corner by the cage you can snatch up those coins in there.

How do I control my party members individually?

One more question:

Is there some store with endless supply of lock-picks? I never have enough.

If you're looking for another game I'd suggest getting a demo for Avernum. I hear it might be challenging to get it to run on Windows 7, though I've not tried. If you've got a mac, you could get the newest remake Avernum: Escape from the Pit. I haven't touched it yet but that's not to say that its not a great game.