A-EftP - Smite and Legacy Content

One of the things that I am noticing about this game is the amount of "legacy content". That is, content that made sense in previous versions, which was converted with minimal effort to make things easier for Jeff, but which really does not make a lot of sense in the modern game.

I mean things like in-town healers, the Crystal Cave (which was great in Exile when you had to pay to rest, but now is at a point where you have cleared the Eastern Gallery before it becomes available and hence less useful), food merchants, and the shady merchants (who used to sell thieves equipment, but now sell junk). We even have some Avernum 1 legacy content with the non-recruitable recruitable NPCs.

But the biggest one that stands out in this game is Smite. People still say Smite is a Giant-Killing weapon, but it is nothing of the sort. It has no extra effects on Giants, and is simply a (nice) weapon that gives extra action points. Was there a reason to remove the Giant abilities on Smite? And if so, why do people still talk about it as a Giant killer?

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
The Crystal Cave now gives everyone +1 Endurance. That's pretty useful!

Didn't fixing the Crystal Cave give a permanent stat bonus in Exile 1 as well? I always figured that was the main reason to do it, with the healing thing being secondary.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
What bugged me and Jeff didn't put it back were all the fire traps in the cave where you find Smite. It's mentioned by the party, Dilbert and Sabrina, who were there before you.

Well, obviously those guys set them all off already.

Originally Posted By: Walker White
One of the things that I am noticing about this game is the amount of "legacy content". That is, content that made sense in previous versions, which was converted with minimal effort to make things easier for Jeff, but which really does not make a lot of sense in the modern game...

Yep that is very noticeable, to complete the elements you quoted I also noticed:
  • You can ask to hire a room in inns but all are full instead of allowing hiring one to rest.
  • You already quoted the numerous mercenaries that are still here but you can't hire them anymore, the fun part is the reason added in the dialog to explain they won't join.
  • About the shady merchants you also already quoted, there's also multiple dialogs related to those shady stuff that are out of place with the gameplay.
  • There's plenty dialogs about paths and locations for quests related stuff, that look now quite weird when you just need look at your global map and see a cross for the quest, plus your global map is fully detailed and is now an automatic map.

For me the last point is the more important, but I'll open another thread linked to this point, about in this remake the lost of the wild mood in many places, the lost of adventure feeling of exploring new wild area, and the lost of exploration fun.

If I may ask, why Smite has such a good reputation to be mentioned in game dialogues? Molten Halberd is valued four times less in gold, but if I'm right with comparing statistics the difference between them is questionable in terms of quality, both of them can be useful in different situations: MA has +2 Gymnastic, 125-470, 120-350 to foe near target (20%) where Smite has +15% to Cold resistance, +1 action point, +5% to critical hit chance, 119-476.

+2 Gymnastic bonus level to me +1 AP and maybe Cold resistance too. The damage to foe near target is quite effective in group hard fights.

In the original version of Exile, Smite was actually a mace, not a spear, and it was the second most famous of the magical weapons brought down by the First Expedition. In that game Smite did bonus damage to giants, just as Demonslayer did bonus damage to demons.

More importantly, magical weapons were EXTREMELY rare in that game. The First Expedition brought down four such artifacts (Demonslayer, Smite, Scrioth, and the Runed Halberd), and there were one or two other special weapons (including an "Alien Blade" implied to be of vahnatai make). Beyond that there were just a tiny handful of generic magic weapons (literally, "Magic Broadsword" or "Magic Flail") that just had a small bonus to accuracy and damage. So it really was a big deal.

Now? Now, Exile/Avernum has gone from being magic-poor, to the Monty Hall show of adventurers.

Items with bonuses to AP are some of the rarest and most valuable in the game. +2 gymnastics is really not comparable to +1 AP: the game description suggests that each point of gymnastics gives +0.1 AP, and even the most generous of my (inconclusive) tests suggest that it might give about +0.15.

That said, Smite isn't the best for straight-up melee (though even then it's far from bad), but it's very good for casters or archers because of the extra AP, especially in combination with a mercuric armor piece or high gymnastics skill (for a guaranteed or near-guaranteed 10 AP per turn).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I ignore how to calculate effectivness of AP, I tried to experiment with the Editor, setting Pole warrior wearing Smite with Strenght, Pole skill and Blade skill at 40th level; then he confronted same opponents (including Cryo drakes, normal drakes, gremlins, Liches) dual wielding Ghostly blade and Oozing sword. I also tried different good blades combinations with Venomous blade and Flaming sword. The dual wielding was much more effective all the time.

I prefer doing +2 AP for my priest. Being able to do Group Heal and something else (Unshackle Mind, Divine Fire, etc.) is often very useful. So is being able to do an extra heal if your party is too split up for Group Heal, or being able to do two Unshackle Minds. And, if you don't need any healing, two Smites or Divine Fires never hurt anyone. Well, anyone on my side...