General advice

defen

I've picked up the series on Steam, and have been wondering about a few aspects of the game.

1) Difficulty. I played through GF1 on normal (unaligned nuker agent) and GF2 on tricky up to the northwest quadrant, where I switched to normal (Barzite melee guardian). I am a fairly good gamer where reflexes do not enter the equation, yet it was still very challenging on these difficulties. Is it possible to win on Torment without creations?

2) Lag. Perhaps this is a function of Steam coupled with a very cheap DSL connection, but my game lags up severely in certain contexts, like picking up items from the ground when the item window is full, large packs of animated creatures (moreso in GF1); having creations running around renders it nearly unplayable. For reference, my gaming laptop is a couple of years old but runs Dragon Age 2 without a hitch.

3) Having just gotten out of the tutorial in GF3 with my agent, I've only invested in leadership and mechanics so far. Is mental magic + melee (without creations) viable? Should I go for full battle magic? I do not look kindly upon independent serviles, for what that's worth.

1. Yes, it is possible to win on Torment playing solo; I've not done it, but others on this forum have done so. In G2, you can build a solo Guardian (due to the incomparable power of the Parry skill in that game). In G1 and G3, I'm pretty sure the go-to class for a Torment solo run is the Agent. In G4 and G5, I believe I've heard that the Agent, Infiltrator, or Servile can all be run solo.

2. I've played G1, G2, and G3, and never had trouble with lag, so I would guess the problem you're seeing involves Steam and not games.

3. Mental Magic is extremely powerful, and in fact is considered (again, from what I've heard, not from personal experience) to be the best way to play a solo Torment Agent.

Mental magic and battle magic is the normal combination, I think, but doing it with melee should be workable. On higher difficulties it might be harder, because one very important tactic is to turn your enemies against each other, lob one or two spells, and then run and hide.

—Alorael, who is not an expert. He relies heavily and constantly on creations.

The problem with melee until GF4 was you needed 5 AP left over to swing after closing with the creation. That's why battle magic is easier since you can use it for range and melee.

Mental magic becomes more powerful at harder difficulties because unlike your other attacks where you need to do more damage it always will work the same across all difficulties. Instead of you needing to do more damage, you seize control of a creation that can do the damage and kill it when it's taken damage serving you.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
1. Yes, it is possible to win on Torment playing solo; I've not done it, but others on this forum have done so. In G2, you can build a solo Guardian (due to the incomparable power of the Parry skill in that game). In G1 and G3, I'm pretty sure the go-to class for a Torment solo run is the Agent. In G4 and G5, I believe I've heard that the Agent, Infiltrator, or Servile can all be run solo.

2. I've played G1, G2, and G3, and never had trouble with lag, so I would guess the problem you're seeing involves Steam and not games.

3. Mental Magic is extremely powerful, and in fact is considered (again, from what I've heard, not from personal experience) to be the best way to play a solo Torment Agent.

Actually im attempting the even more insane. I decided to try a shocktrooper through solo without any creations. She relies on melee primarily and ranged when she can, along with regenerative spells, and lots of sneakiness (mechanics/leadership). I will be essentially playing a shocktrooper as a guardian. It will be hard but hey, this game is fairly easy compared to the previous games.

Ok, past the first island on Tricky. Daze + early speed + rudimentary tactics -> everything is trivialized, even if my agent can only take two hits before expiring.

I'm accustomed to running back to town to regenerate. Is a high day counter going to bite me in the posterior down the road? Should I avoid canisters as a proper loyalist?