When A1-3 is Remade, Jeff will Don the Beard

Death Knight

Im convinced that while Jeff Vogel has managed to stay unnoticed on as major of a scale as bioware and other big companies; I still believe that when Avernum 1-3 are remade and Geneforge 1-? are remade (and on ipad and iphone), Jeff will don the Redbeard and assume his place as keeper.

I think that because he took a risk to put his games on the new platform, that was the best decision he made. The question is will Jeff Vogel be a celebrity (like bioware) when that happens?

To put it bluntly, no. Spiderweb may be very successful as an indie developer, but its games aren't going to have the same kind of sales numbers as Bioware, and it doesn't have the kind of budget and dev team that's really needed for that kind of superstar success.

—Alorael, who admits that there are others routes. Those are usually recognition and success by radically new ideas, and that's also not what Jeff does. His games are good, but they're not in the same unexpected vein as Minecraft. He's also not producing the kind of casual game that can be enjoyed by tons of people: Avadon has much higher barriers to entry than Angry Birds.

Well youve got to admit that jeff is seeing more success than he did when still new. His game pages have 5 times more good reviews than before. The problem with that is i believe that most people judge the games before they play them. People mostly judge on graphics and thats why alot of the older ones didnt get as much attention as the newer.

I still think that jeff will see more success for an indie game company when said games are released but dont hold me to it.

Oh, sure. He has already said that he's had more success with his lower price and third-party distribution. There are just a few orders of magnitude of difference between indie success and major developer success. Bioware can make over $1 million just from one game's DLC.

—Alorael, who thinks it will widen's Jeff indie RPG recognition. He's been a major name in its rarified circles for a long time now, but Steam has helped to widen the circle.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
Aren't all the Geneforges already in more or less the modern engine? Other than the action point system, I mean.

Yes, but 1-3 are definitely in the "less" category.

Dikiyoba hopes that the Geneforge series will be remade eventually. It'd be fun to play G1 in a shiny new engine all over again.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
Geneforges remakes are quite far in future if that happens.

Actually i talked to jeff a few weeks ago and he said that he expects to at least start working on the geneforges (1) in less than 3 years. Whether or not what he said will happen, is up for grabs. I find that to be more realistic than the 5-7 years which it seems like but who knows.

Avernum remakes should go quicker now that Jeff has the basic updated game engine. Like Avadon, the remake takes longer the more new features need to be coded. Most of the Avadon 2 problems will be fixing game balance issues from Avadon.

The Geneforge 1 remake will probably take a long time to do, but the later ones will go faster.

Geneforge should also be a much easier remake because all the terrain can be put into the new engine without modification.

—Alorael, who also suspects that the rapidity of Geneforge remake will be predicated on the speed of Geneforge sales on Steam. He's just not sure whether fast or slow sales would be better.