Are your tubes filled?

Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas

Wow, there are so many things that are absurd about that. Your speed is... very slow, and yet you are still faster than 12% (one in ten!) of the US. Is that because your up speed is faster than those people or do those people not have internet to begin with? Also the fact that you got a ping in hours is unbelievable to me; usually ping is in milliseconds. I really don't think it would take a signal more than 20 minutes to circle the globe (probably less).

Originally Posted By: The (Armored) Ratt
Wow, there are so many things that are absurd about that. Your speed is... very slow, and yet you are still faster than 12% (one in ten!) of the US. Is that because your up speed is faster than those people or do those people not have internet to begin with? Also the fact that you got a ping in hours is unbelievable to me; usually ping is in milliseconds. I really don't think it would take a signal more than 20 minutes to circle the globe (probably less).

He's posting from aboard Voyager 1. It has a tendency to slightly increase your lag when you're a couple of light hours out. tongue

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Earth's circumference is approximately 24,900 miles, so the maximum possible distance would be just over 12,400 miles.

Actually in real distance it is < 8,000 miles from any point on earth to any other. Of course we don't have cable running through the Earth's core, so... data transmission lines will be longer.

The measurement given isn't data transmission distance, but it is surface distance, because that's the way everyone measures distance from point to point on the Earth.

—Alorael, who doesn't even think the core needs to be invoked. It's also not very feasible to put lines deep in the crust. Earth is actually a very inhospitable place except for the thin layer we all walk around on.

Originally Posted By: Narg
Originally Posted By: Polaran
posting from aboard Voyager 1.
Yay, I didn't waste two hours in GIMP modifying ancient space probe computer systems for nothing!

One-way tachyon machine isn't enough. 11.6 billion miles are over 17 light hours. (Of course, round-trip then doubles that, too.)

Originally Posted By: Lilith
the server farthest from me appears to be the one in Lisbon, Portugal, which is 11050 miles away

so close
Originally Posted By: Excalibur
1568580413.png

Well, that's still 100 miles shy of Mystic. On the other hand, it's Mauritius!
Valiant efforts, both of you.

And happy birthday, Excalibur! grin