Background music

Ha$$oNiaN

Off my mac addict CD, it was automatic, which by the way, was awesome. Also judging by the intro music to the Avernum games alone, there could have been absolutely epic music there.

Aside from the point, games like spiderwebs are becoming scarce, and while I honestly haven't played enough of Avadon to be a judge, I feel I will be playing Exiles and Avernums for years because they are MY genre of game. Thank you Jeff Vogel for making many REAL games. Piss on Gears Of War.

Exile 1 originally had no background music. Exile 2 always had background music, although I believe it defaulted to being off. Exile 2's background music was AWESOME -- fit perfectly with the mood and atmosphere, and somehow you could loop it for a very long time without it getting annoying. That's an accomplishment that puts it up there with the Zelda theme as far as successful looping game music goes.

Exile 1 had optional background music added to its v 2.0 release, the release the gave it the Exile 3 graphics. I'm not sure why, since Exile 3 did not have any background music option. The Exile 1 music was also a MIDI of Bach, I believe, which was less varied and less interesting.

Quote:
Exile 2's background music was AWESOME -- fit perfectly with the mood and atmosphere, and somehow you could loop it for a very long time without it getting annoying.

Would that I could agree. The music was very good, but I have never encountered a song that doesn't get monotonous on loop every four minutes in a ~30 hour game.

Quote:
Exile 1 had optional background music added to its v 2.0 release, the release the gave it the Exile 3 graphics.

Huh. I never knew about that. What was it like before? I had a version (downloaded around the time BoE came out) that had music, but not what I'd call "Exile 3 graphics": it didn't have any multi-tile monsters, and it still used some of the really primitive early Exile graphics (e.g. the mite graphics from Realmz for araneae). Was there an earlier version with more primitive graphics than that, and no music? I wish I had access to my parents' old computer, which should still have the version of E1 I played on it. Alas, while the machine is still extant, it's about 3000 miles away.

E1 and E2 both received facelifts sometime after E3 came out, and ALL of their graphics tiles and character icons were replaced with the stylistically quite different E3 and BoE style graphics. There were no engine changes, thus no multi-tile monsters for example, but the graphics were all replaced. E3's graphics were totally redrawn by new artists, thus the same things sometimes look dramatically different. The original icons looked cruder largely because they consisted mostly of solid colors and unidirectional representations and did not do much blending or shadowing.

Personally, I liked them better, though more people prefer the newer graphics.