Zhossa Mindtaker - Torment

Arch

Hey everyone

I'm new to Vogel's games, but so far i'm loving Avadon. My first game is on Torment, but i'm at a pickle with Zhossa Mindtalker.

Not knowing that the door would get barred behind me when entering the dungeon, I diddn't carry a lot of support items like handy summoning scrolls and potions.

I'm having some serious problems taking her on and I've no idea if i'm even close or not. So far, my party usually die shortly after their third soldier is released on me. If i'm close to an end, I could probably beat it, but if this is just foreplay for the real fight (against the drake) then I've got no chance at all..

So yeah, am I close or should I reload that save game that is a couple of levels back? smile

Oh and my party consists of me as SW with Sev and Nath. With the exception of Nathalie, our party focuses on melee (yeah, I know - i'm probably retraining when I get out of this dungeoon)

Originally Posted By: Arch
By "kill" you mean having any of the soldiers healed to full health?

Yes. Just hang on until Zhossa weakens and decides to escape. (Remember, if you are absolutely stuck, you can turn the difficulty down to hard. You'll lose a secret medal, but on a first playthrough when you're still figuring out all the tricky parts, it's not much of an issue.)

Dikiyoba.

You may find useful to concentrate hits on the guy with the sword, he comes closer and stay close so you "have" to hit him, while the other two you should move and eventually loose turns to hit them heavily with swords or halberds.

Killing this guy is worth the others in terms of Zhossa game, but the "killing" comes usually out to be quicker.

You also may want to use some hits on Zhossa's zombies, they are weak but annoying.

I did it on torment with your exact build.

Also, you don't actually need to kill anyone (or not to the point that they disappear or anything as Zhossa will always heal them before their health gets so low that they die)). Zhossa just keeps healing the puppets until he gets too weak to heal them any longer, then he give up and retreats. The fight does seem to go on forever, though (I didn't count, but he heals them many times), but it will end eventually.

How I did it:

Keep all your characters spread out in the lower corner of the map (they don't seem to be affected by the columns here, or mine didn't anyway). Position Nathalie by the door, far enough away to be out of range from the 3 puppets, and have her alternate between killing the skeletons that Zhossa spawns (if you have her powered up she can take them out in two hits usually) and attacking one of the puppets when there are no skeletons. Meanwhile, have your two melee characters attack just one of the enemies (the same one Nathalie is attacking). Ignore the other two entirely even if they are attacking you. For the fight to end Zhossa has to heal the puppets a certain number of times and he only does this when their health is low, so it doesn't pay to attack all of them. Just focus on one of them repeatedly. Just remember to keep yourselves healed and it will end eventually (it does seemingly go on for ever, though, and not knowing when exactly it will end is the worst part).

I actually think this is the hardest mandatory fight in the game. There are lots of much harder fights in the game, but they are all optional.

Some of the later mandatory fights are seemingly harder, but all of the other mandatory fights have an exploit that, once you figure it out, the fight becomes absurdly easy. So I think this one is the hardest mandatory fight just because, unlike the other battles, it doesn't really have a cheap exploit. You just kind of have to weather the damage and survive until it's over.

=== MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS ====

Thanks for the replies, guys. I kind of forgot about this thread until now. I managed to beat it by charming the third soldier and have him either help damage the guy I focused on, or keep the archer busy. Even with charms, I had to rely on at least two successive hits in order to have a chance to last long enough and to be brutally honest, the only reason I won was due to starting over until I got the lucky outcomes I relied on.

I spent quite a bit of speed scrolls, various potions, staves and such that I had been saving up from the beginning, and not knowing if this would become the norm from now on, I retrained into ranged/dex on my SW and BM. The game got very easy after this and I basically steamrolled everything until the end. I killed Beloch on my 2nd or 3rd reload, killed Lord Gryfyn on first try, etc.

So for future readers, if you've come this far as melee and enjoyed the challenge up until now, keep going with it. Retraining into dex builds makes it much easier and not really much of a challenge.

Oh and thanks to Spiderweb Software. I haven't been so psyched about an RPG since Baldur's Gate and Torment! I'm definitively gonna check out the previous games.