About a scenario or campaing editor.

FTP

First of all, I would like to state that I already used the search engine to verify about my next question but failed to find anything.

So...to the question:

Will be (or there is) a missio/campaing editor for Avadon yet? It would be really enjoyable to make whole campaings in this new game.

Jeff tried this twice actually. Once with Blades of Exile, and again with Blades of Avernum. I recommend them both; however, the former was much more successful than the latter. Blades of Avernum caused a huge sink in money for Jeff, and it almost bankrupted the company. You are very unlikely to ever see something like that again, given the high cost and poor sales.

Originally Posted By: *i
Jeff tried this twice actually. Once with Blades of Exile, and again with Blades of Avernum. I recommend them both; however, the former was much more successful than the latter. Blades of Avernum caused a huge sink in money for Jeff, and it almost bankrupted the company. You are very unlikely to ever see something like that again, given the high cost and poor sales.

Does that mean no blades remake after the new exile remakes. frown That would make me a sad panda.

Originally Posted By: Speedstersonic
Does that mean no blades remake after the new exile remakes. frown That would make me a sad panda.

Doing things like this is always tricky because there's always the possibility that by doing so, something that is used in the user-created content breaks.

I think the best we can realistically hope for is that Jeff either continues to support BoA by making it playable on new computers, or he releases the source code to the community. Either way, the game isn't ever going to end up using the Avernum 6/Avadon engine.

A Blades of Avernum (Second Trilogy Style) or Blades of Avernum (Original Trilogy Remake Style) wouldn't be able to support the original scenarios anyway. The engines are too different.

—Alorael, who would count on BoA becoming entirely open source eventually, like BoE. He'd also count on Jeff never trying to make a user-friendly editor again. He might be convinced to release the unpolished tools he uses, without support, but probably not; no matter how many warnings he slaps on them, angry customers will reject anything that doesn't run smoothly.

Originally Posted By: A lot of really angry elves left
A Blades of Avernum (Second Trilogy Style) or Blades of Avernum (Original Trilogy Remake Style) wouldn't be able to support the original scenarios anyway. The engines are too different.

How so? The only major issues that I can think of are the laser mirror puzzles and time passage. By that logic, Avernum 3 would be incompatible with the new engine as well.

Originally Posted By: *i

Alright...I can understand all the economical issues atached to it but its just a pitty since mods and new user made stuff always bring more life to games.