I need a game like Baldurs Gate..what can you sell me

Pvthudson

Im tired of solo adventure games and overhyped games with crappy 3D graphics (cough Dragon Age)

I want to go back to old school have 5 party members, equip em, dungeon crawl, fight and explore

Which Spiderweb game would be best for me?

Preferably something new and up to date in a series

Oh and can you get it as a digital download

All Jeff's games have digital download. To break it up by series:

• Geneforge series games focus heavily on creating your party in a literal sense- summoning allies and recruiting NPC's and such.
  • Avernum is probably closer to what you are looking for- you create a party of 4 and go have adventures.
  • If you're feeling really nostalgic, Exile is a 2D game that's exactly like Avernum bu with more spells and 6 PC's.
  • Avadon is a low-budget Dragon Age "spiritual successor", so you proibably won't like it.
  • Nethergate is an interesting take on the Roman conquest of Britain BUT WITH MAGIC!1!1!! and a lot of people here like it.

If I had to take a WAG as to what you'd like the most in spirit of old-style Bioware games, I'd say you couldn't go wrong with a hefty dose of Avernum III. Download the MASSIVE demo and try it before you buy- Jeff's demos are practically a game within a game!

As good as the ipad? I assume so, at least. They're much the same, but the with the PC/Mac version (if you download direct from Spiderweb and not from the Mac App Store) you can also insert mods like the unofficial character editor and a couple of useful cheats. You can't do that with the ipad version.

When not in combat, your Avadon party moves in a wedge formation.

In Avernum, the party has always marched along in a comically straight line. I don't know if that will be retained in the update; probably.

Geneforge gives you more choices as to formation, and also lets you place individual characters/creations strategically, outside of combat. Or leave some of them behind, if desired.

Nethergate is, interestingly, the only game in which you actually have a limit of five permanent party members. It's the only game that I can think of with five characters, in fact, except Final Fantasy IV. And one of those characters isn't one of your originals, either.

If you can accept having characters without personalities in the tradition of pre-BG games, the Avernums (and their Exile forbears) are great party-based exploration and dungeon-crawl games. You explore most freely in A1 and A3, get more direction in A4-6, and get one of the best plots in Nethergate.

Geneforge is more geared towards being solo. You only have one main character with a full set of stats and the ability to use equipment. In exchange for the loss of your party, you get the ability to create monsters and more choice-driven plots.

—Alorael, who recommends downloading some demos and giving them a try. A1-3 share an engine. A4-6 share another engine. All the Geneforges have the same engine. Exile games are fairly different but hard to get running on newer operating systems. Blades of Exile and Avernum are fantastic if you like the chance to play (or make) user made scenarios. See what you like! The demos are quite representative of the games.

Originally Posted By: Fractus animus ex machina
Give an example?

—Alorael, who is not a BoA designer. With that caveat, he doesn't think the scripts even support accessing party members as separate entities beyond aggregations of stats. Can names be pulled up?

Yeah, and it's been done a few times (Niemand's new scenario, the Sorcerer's Apprentice, does this, as do a few others). It's limited, but the capability is there.

Yes, you can add character names to dialogs in BoA. This lets you have NPCs address them by name, or put words in the mouths of one party member or another. Like "Sally speaks up: _Hey Fitz, jumping off this cliff might not be such a good idea._"

There's also a joinable NPC in Magus of Cattalon that you can converse with; it was very well done. I can't think of any examples from the Avernum games, though.