Harry Potter 7 Part 2

BainIhrno

So what did you think of the final installment of the Harry Potter films, for those of you who have seen it?

WARNING: SPOILERS BEYOND!!!!

While there was a lot of magic fights, it didn't seem like an action film. It's more a story driven film taking place in a battle. This isn't necessarily good or bad, it's just an observation.

Comparing it to the book, I thought it was actually an improvement, because it seemed like it actually took effort to defeat him personally in the movie.

That being said, since the final book came out, I never cared for the ending. The series got darker as the stories progressed, and it just seemed like it flipped back to the lightness of the first one after Voldemort was defeated.

When Harry looks through Snape's memories, Dumbledore tells Snape what happened to Harry on the night he was attacked. Snape says, "So the boy must die?" Dumbledore says, "Yes. He must die." I will openly admit that this part had me sobbing in the theater. I didn't even find it that emotional in the book, but the movie just did it so well it was very powerful, with the soundtrack and acting. This was probably the best part of the movie, maybe even the best part of any of these films.

So why am I let down?

After the limbo, there's even a good part where Neville Longbottom inspires everyone not to give up hope just because Harry is dead. Then they see Harry back in action, and after that, it's pretty much just Harry and Voldemort chasing each other throughout the school, until Harry defeats Voldemort.

Then there's the scene "19 Years Later" (if you haven't noticed, that would be the year 2017) which I thought was unnecessary in both the book and the film. The film could have just cut it off and it still would have been the same film pretty much. They could have just moved stuff like Harry accepting Snape was a good man to right after Voldemort was defeated, with him just talking to Ron and Hermione.

Basically, after the limbo, while I thought the action was pretty good, it still seemed like the standard "Good vs. Evil" battle, and the cliched happy ending.

The thing is this: I felt the happy ending really ruined the mood of the dark turn the films took, and the climatic scene of Harry realizing his destiny. I'm probably making lots of Potter fans mad by saying this, but I really do think that Harry should have died and not come back to life. It would have been a perfect emotional ending to a progressively darker series.

Oh, and by the way, why did all that stupid wand stuff have to be mentioned in the film? That was one of the worst things about the book, and it very easily could have been removed from the film.

The acting for the most part was very good, although I didn't think Ralph Fiennes did a great job with Voldemort.

It may sound like I didn't like the film from reading this. Not true. I did enjoy it, would definitely recommend it, but I just left feeling disappointed. I knew what the outcome was going to be, since I've read the book, but the movie still left me disappointed. It may just be that the movie was made so well up until the limbo scene (which was good too, but that's when it started heading downhill.)

So I guess that was kind of a rant. It was a good movie, but it could have been great.

What are your thoughts on the final HP film? Probably different from mine, I would expect.

Originally Posted By: BainIhrno
It may sound like I didn't like the film from reading this. Not true. I did enjoy it, would definitely recommend it, but I just left feeling disappointed. I knew what the outcome was going to be, since I've read the book, but the movie still left me disappointed. It may just be that the movie was made so well up until the limbo scene (which was good too, but that's when it started heading downhill.)

Voldemort: So... after the limbo scene... you felt...
(Dons sunglasses.)
Voldemort: Pretty low.
(Falls off cliff.)
Voldemort: NYAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Keep in mind that these are, at least theoretically, children's books. I'd be willing to bet a decent amount of money that Rowling, at least in initial drafts, killed off Harry for good, but the publishers made her fix it, which then required the insertion of the deus ex machina that was the Hallows. For all the criticism that the books drew, they actually were't that badly written- sure, the plots were derivative, stale, and uninspiring, and she may have lacked any sort of powerful and descriptive vistas, but damn if she didn't know how to write good characters and interactions. I mean, look at how powerful the ending of the sixth book was- the only reason it was s shocking as it was was because the character was so capable of resonating with the audience.

EDIT: Dinti, get out.

I only saw the first movie (I just don't watch movies much), and it's been a few years now since I read the books. But in what way were the plots derivative, stale, and uninspiring? I would almost have called them original to the point of quirkiness.

I agree that an awful lot of elements of Harry Potter seem like tropes in retrospect, but I've never quite been able to think of many actual precursors. What prior art I recognize has always seemed pretty feeble in comparison. I was always reminded of Robert Louis Stevenson's apology, in front of Treasure Island, for having written yet another pirate story. Modern readers can only scratch their heads and wonder what other pirate stories there even are, besides Treasure Island. It would be ridiculous to charge Stevenson with having borrowed from earlier writers, when in fact he outright stole their whole damn genre, and got away clean with it to Rio. I think Rowling is sunning herself and sipping caipis there beside him.

Stylistically, J. K. Rowling's writing reminded me very specifically of Roald Dahl's children's fiction. The subject matter may be a little different, but the same themes are there, although generally addressed with somewhat less cynicism. A quick look at Wikipedia reveals I'm not the only one to see parallels.

Significantly less cynicism. Dahl's children tend to see problems with parental and educational authorities in whatever form they appear in the story. They don't have what are essentially well-adjusted teenage years, just with lots of supernatural quirks. I mean, can you imagine Matilda at Hogwarts? I can't.

Hermione is definitely the hero in that book and movies series. If not for her, Harry and Ron would have been dead long ago. I mean basically the two of them just stumble along, and she saves their asses with simple spells they should have learned in first year.

For example, wtf Harry Potter, you're falling out of a tram car to your death and you don't think to use a levitation spell?!